Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Winter 2014 December 30 Tuesday



32 degrees this morning (23 windchill),57:17  minutes walking, three earthquakes

My Toastmasters Club has an “international food” meeting last night.  A number of members are natives of different countries and each member made a food representative of their culture.  It was fun and interesting as well as educational and good eating!  (I bought fudge and banana bread, the fudge that Aliene makes each year).

Yesterday was especially interesting at work.  Interesting in the sense that I run into situations that I haven’t before and I have to figure out the right solution!  

I have to plug in my ipod (formerly my iphoneI) each day so I have enough juice to last through the day.  

I occasionally forget, so I spend several minutes working on this instead of walking!  It actually doesn’t take long for it to charge it up enough for the walk.

It is interesting how we get into certain routines, sometimes for a reason, sometimes not.  I guess there is no reason I shouldn’t do this first and than walk but I always walk first, shower etc. and then finish this and post it before I take my morning nap.

After my morning nap, I eat breakfast, glance at the paper etc. and then go to work at 7:30 a.m. or usually actually about 7:20 a.m. Not having any commuting time is nice!  

Being an Oklahoma University (sports) fan hasn’t been much fun the last several years.  I always wonder what makes you a “fan” of a specific sports team.  I have never attended OU (except for some off-campus graduate classes I took in the Air Force).  I am a strong fan of Wichita State since I got my M.A. there, and, although we almost never hear of it, I would be a strong fan of Fort  Hays State.

Pro teams are another matter.  Obviously I can understand being for your city  team, but why people are fans of sports teams they have never seen in person or a city they have never been in is another matter!  Not criticizing, just speculating.  It is an interesting subject.

We liked the Memphis Redbirds so much, it will be difficult for us to enjoy going to another baseball teams games, but I expect we will adjust, while continuing to cheer for the Memphis Redbirds from afar!  

The tie between the Memphis Redbirds and St. Louis Cardinals was especially nice, since we could watch the players we saw on the Memphis Redbirds, especially the ones who were not necessarily yet “stars” develop and become “stars” for the St. Louis Cardinals.  

That won’t happen here, because of a different tie-in.

We even feel an emotional tie to the Memphis Grizzles (the Memphis pro basketball team), even though we feel pro basketball is boring, or more to the point, meaningless, but we still like the team and how the players and team were involved in the Memphis community.  

I expect the same applies to the basketball team here.  We moved to Memphis right as the Grizzles started playing in Memphis, so we will probably always have soem emotional attachment to the team.

I guess the attachment is to the team, not the coach, players, or even the owners, since that changes all the time.

Even then, Iit  is still hard to understand how someone could be a fan of a college team (like Kentucky) where it is essentially a pro team that changes every year.   The relationship of the players to “student” is slight to say the least.


That’s it for now, Tuesday, December 30, 2014.

No comments: