Sunday, December 21, 2014

Winter 2014 December 21 Sunday



43 degrees this morning, 57:57 minutes walking, three earthquakes

Today is the shortest day and the days get longer from here!  At least that is the positive view of the first day of winter!  

Overall yesterday was a relatively quiet day, today kind of starts the Holiday season, with a dinner tonight etc.

Next week will be rather strange as I work Monday, Tuesday and Friday. 

I worked some more on improving my knowledge of “Evernote” today.  The more I know about it, the less I learn, if that makes any sense.

I did find out I can save “Next Issue” articles to Evernote and read on a bigger screen, which is nice.  I think I can save Wall Street Journal articles there also.  

Also worked on my photos for awhile.  I need to get that finished up, but at least the digital photos  doesn’t get in the way or anything!  

I am also working on getting photos of “event” or “place” t-shirts & hats etc. before I donate them.  

I am trying to figure how to set up a separate “Flickr” (or similar) account.  I actually could put all of them in Evernote which may be best and I can always save them to Google or another account.

I have been looking for an “app” to keep track of the mileage and miles per gallon etc.  I am amazed at the junk apps I have had to pay for and that just don’t do the job.  

I’ll keep looking, or I may just decide my current method is the best.

It is actually  fairly simple, I just save the receipts and have a spreadsheet.  

I tried to return several of the apps as not being advertised correctly.  I have found many of the apps are way over-hyped and basically junk, although there are also many that are excellent.

That is kind of like cable tv.  There promises are basically just that-promises.  The software isn’t up to the hype and we call them, they come out and say it is a “software problem”!  

Somehow there ads and hype for the products don’t mention they don’t work as advertised though, like a lot of technology.

One thing that always surprises me about technology people is how rigid they frequently are, or perhaps controlling is the best word.

Apply is one of the worst at that.  One aspect of the GPS on my car that I hate is the process for setting your destination including pressing “go”, which should be the last thing you have to  press, but THEN you have to press “ok”.  

What is especially bad that after pressing “Go”, there is a long pause, and then the map comes up.  Then an “OK” pops up on the screen for several seconds (only).  If you are the least distracted you don’t see the “OK” and the map makes it look like it is going.

Only after about 10 minutes and you realize the time of arrival isn’t changing and the obvious voice isn’t giving directions.  THEN you have to reset the entire direction.

Maddening.


That’s it for now, Sunday, December 21, 2014.  Winter 2014 has arrived!

No comments: