Sunday, December 28, 2014

Winter 2014 December 28 Sunday



28 degrees this morning, 58:26 minute walk, 4 earthquakes

The period between Christmas and New Year Day (or really until the Monday following New Year Day) frequently takes on the feeling of a national nap, as generally everything slows down or stops, in some areas and other areas (such as shopping, eating) become more active.  

I think everyone and everything needs a break occasionally so that is good.

Overall, it has been a good holiday season.  This is the first time in at least 14 years that I haven’t had a long break , but the two days at Christmas and the New Year Day holiday are enough. 

I think since it is a “real” break and I get a “real” break on weekends and evenings, I don’t really feel the need for a major break.  

As I have mentioned before, working “only” 40 hours a week is almost like retirement, after 40 years of working weekends and evenings as a matter of course and always having something to to do for my job.  I don’t regret it all, and I am enjoying the current situation.  

Spent a nice day with Kali and Katherine yesterday.  We ate, and I showed them Plaza Mayor, which is a redeveloping mall.  That is one of the areas that my job involves so I am watching with interest as it redevelops.  

We played “Farkle” and it made us realize again how much we miss our friends in Memphis!  Kali liked it and Katherine wasn’t quite as favorable, but she may start to like it!

Kali presented her monologue she is working for at school.  She really did an excellent job on it and we enjoyed listening to it.

Then we went Starbucks where we had the “Google WiFi”, which is super fast internet.  We enjoy just hanging out and reading, working on the computer etc. and drinking coffee.  

I don’t care for “fancy coffee” (I just get a “dark roast, no coffee), but Alene, Kali and Katherine enjoy  the more complicated coffee drinks!  

Kali got a Keurig coffee maker for Christmas, so I guess she takes after her grandfather (me) in that regard that she enjoys coffee!

Gas is to $1.66 at places here.  I am waiting for it to go to under $1.00 again!  I doubt if that will happen, but then I never thought I would see it below $3.00 again, much less $2.00.  

The new shoes I got for my “walking” shoes has really make a major difference on my feet.  They feel a lot better.  It made a big difference on my walk.  

I really enjoy my morning walk, in spite of the cold.  It really hasn’t been that bad, especially as long as the wind remains calm.

I am enjoying one of my hidden habits, watching taped boxing bouts.  I’m not sure why I enjoy it, it isn’t the brutality, it is more the idea of two persons facing each other, depending only on your own resources.   There may be a lot of hype involved, but in the end you have to face the other person.

It is really strange I watch tapes of bouts, and for a long time I rarely saw a “”actual” (as opposed to ta “technical” knockout.  Over the past week, I have probably seen five “knockouts” where it literally was a knockout.  In each case, the punch that did it is almost like a brush, not a hard punch.  

No I have no desire to box, but I like to to watch the strategy involved, and some of the reaction.  Somewhat like auto racing, you don’t really enjoy the accidents.  


That’s it for now, Sunday, December 28, 2014.

No comments: