Saturday, December 27, 2014

Winter 2014 December 17 Saturday



36 degrees this morning. light snow during walk (“sprinkles”)   56:39 minutes walking 4 earthquakes

Light snow this morning (actually just a few flakes in the air  It is always a good walk even in the cold, but snow would stop my walk until it melts!

I have decided I will need to go back to the basic “low carb” eating again after the holidays.  While I haven’t done really bad as far as eating, I need to get back on track.  

I always  remember in 1999 when I was about the weight I am now, the holiday eating pattern didn’t change until about 4 years ago when I went on my low carb eating pattern.  I still am on it, I just need to watch more carefully.  

Twenty years ago today, my Mom called and advised my Dad had passed away, apparently  from Parkinsons.  I can still picture exactly where I was when she called.  I find it hard to picture it being 20 years ago, 20 years seems likes a long time, but somehow the time went fast.  

I really see time pass when I realize how fast children grow, and I understand now when adults were always amazed at how much we had grown when we were children. All of the children that were “children” when Aliene and I got married 18 years ago are now adults and my granddaughters were not even born!  

Of course, you think 18 years, that is just what happens, but the time seems to fly by so fast.

Of course, I have been always been well aware time and how there is so little time for everything I want to do.  

Sometimes  I’m not sure but what it is better as you get older and your options become somewhat more limited (but still many!).  I think  I focus more on what I can do and maybe don’t bother wasting time on what I realize I can’t do, if that makes any sense.

I read/heard some interesting ideas the past several days.

One is a comment by a person on CNBC (didn’t get his name) that “States” as such, are not as important as Metropolitan areas, that innovation and advances are being made at the Metropolitan level, that businesses don’t care about incentives as much as locating in a Metropolitan with a good working force, and the potential for a variety of life styles.  

 I wish I had gotten more information on it. Although it is a fairly common theme, the person on CNBC was reinforcing it by encouraging businesses to consider the Metropolitan area and not the state when choosing locations.  Or rather, he just said that was the trend and businesses just need to go with it.

I know Memphis was frequently hurt by the Tennessee Governors who favored other parts of the state and politically forced Memphis to sometimes support new businesses in some area of Tennessee rather than development in Mississippi or Arkansas that would actually be more favorable to Memphis than other parts of Tennessee.

The other was about Facebook and how they use the “use your Strengths”  management style.  I have to agree that has a lot of potential.

Several years ago I heard the author speak and took a “strength finder” survey.  I have to agree that using your strengths instead of spending all your time trying to improve your weaknesses can be the appropriate method in the right organization   

I also applied it somewhat t my personal life, I’ll need to go back and review the book again. 


That’s it for now, Saturday, December 27, 2014

No comments: