Saturday, December 06, 2014

Fall 2014 December 6 Saturday (Experience)



62 degrees this morning.  No Walk.  One earthquake.

Rain most of day yesterday, hopefully will be better weather today.  

Excellent birthday party last night (a “surprise party” and she was definitely surprised!)

Time goes on, as someone mentioned last night, when I was younger I couldn’t  even envision myself at my current age, or at least I couldn’t imagine myself as a person with a full range of emotional responses etc. that I have always had, with changes bought on by experience.  

I always liked the term “experience” and the different meanings to the word.  

My favorite definition is you get experience from “mistakes”.  I assume that this means you learn from your mistakes and don’t get experience from repeating the same actions that lead to the mistakes!  i don’t think repeating mistakes means experience! 

I think that is the fallacy of simply saying someone has “…years of experience”.  It’s not the time you spend doing something, it includes what you did, what you tried and what you learned.

Sometimes, it may be better to ask persons about their failures rather than their successes. 

I actually think if (again, this is if applicable, this isn’t applicable to many jobs/situations), if you don’t make mistakes you may not be doing your job.

Of course, it also matters who is defining what a “mistake” is.  No matter what you do, if you are in a situation where you have to make a decision, there will be many who don’t agree and will call it a mistake.

That is probably one major difference in my current job and past career.  In my current job, while i really enjoy it, there is limited opportunities to make judgmental  decisions.  Most of the actions I take are based on certain procedures being followed.

It doesn’t mean I can’t be innovative about how I do my job, it just means the actual outcomes are restricted, or rather any action has to follow certain procedures, so outcomes are based on these procedures.  If that makes any sense.

In a broader sense, all decisions have consequences and you need to carefully consider the consequences before you make a decision (or not).  

I took the opportunity yesterday to eat some things I normally wouldn’t eat (at least all together) on the excuse that “I don’t come this way often” or something to that effect. 

While nothing “bad” happened, I noted in my “My Fitness Pal”, the consequences of one time may not be that bad, but if I did it on a normal basis, I would expect such eating to have a negative effect!  Not that I didn’t enjoy the food, but it will be a long time before I do that again!

I actually eat a lot less than I use to.  That fact that I eat less and exercise and don’t lose any weight is rather disturbing.  I   haven’t gained any weight either, but the fact I haven’t lost any weight means I have probably balanced my food intake with my exercise and metabolism.  

I have maintained my current weight for   about three years.  While I am happy about it, I would like to lose about another 15 pounds,  but somehow it doesn’t want to seem to come off! 

That’s it for now, Saturday, December 6, 2014.

  

No comments: