Thursday, December 11, 2014

Fall 2014 December 11 Thursday



50  degrees this morning, 43;47  minute walk, six earthquakes.

Carefully getting back into my walk.  Still keeping it short, since my  head cold is still there, although it’s a lot better.  I don’t want it to turn into a cough.

I like walking this time of year with all of the Christmas decorations set up, many lit all night.  

Just thinking, Saturday will be 12-13-14, which I think is the last time in this century when this will happen (a date of consecutive numbers).  Of course, by definition, 12-13-14 is the only date this century.

Christmas is only two weeks away. Another Christmas will be here and gone and then a New Year starts.  

I like the concept of the New Year, kind of like a blank calendar.  Actually, I always liked New Year Eve and  New Year Day as a time to reflect on where I have been  and  where I want go.

Driving back tonight, I did think about how nice it was in Memphis without a lot of tailgaters.  I am just amazed at the tailgaters here.

Today, I was even tailgated driving in the right lane on a street with a 40 mph speed limit and I was probably going 45!  

Due to the routes I take, there are several cases where it makes sense for me to drive in the far left lane on an urban interstate (read “short distance”, not driving on I-40 or I-70 for hundreds of miles). 

I have finally learned to just hunker down and ignore the tailgaters.  I figure they can chance  lanes just and easily as I can.  Why should I have to move over for them?

Especially when I drive about 5 mph about the posted speed limit already!

I don’t even get mad any more when some idiot tail gates me.  I either just hunker down and drive or I start slow down in extreme cases where they come within an inch of my bumper and are obviously bullies.  I just decided I’m not about going to allow someone to ruin my day by making me mad.

One memorable time (when I was a few years younger), I was driving an Acura TL from OKC to Memphis.  Somewhere around  Ft. Smith Arkansas (where the drivers and people are normally very courteous), someone was tailgating me and honking his horn while I was passing a truck.  

To get out of the situation, I just put the pedal to the floor.  I  looked down and I was speeding along (“speeding” being the right word), at 125 mph!  I immediately slowed down and didn’t mention it to Aliene until were safety stopped!  The Acura had a great engine on it.

The state has a business class for new businesses this morning.  It was excellent.  I wish more businesses would attend.

It is sad so many businesses get started with high hopes, but fail, sometimes taking a lot o money in addition to hopes.

Sometimes i visit a new business and just mentally hate my head at some of the concepts that I know won’t make it.  

Of course, there is always the exception that is a huge success that I expect is the reason that everyone tries. 

That’s it for now, Thursday, December 11, 2014 








No comments: