Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Winter 2014 December 23 Tuesday


44Degrees this morning, 57:41 minute walk.

Started listening to  “the Winter of the World” during my walk this morning.  Finished “The Fall of Giants” yesterday morning during my walk.

I understand it is three novels covering the century from early 1900 to 1999.  So far it is maintaining my interest well.  

The first book only went to about about 1925 (maybe a little later), so he will need to get going, although I assume he has developed the main families for the century with additions as appropriate.  However, the “Winter of the World” started in 1933, so the author is right on target.

These are actually  fairly old novels, I believe the first was written in 2010.

Since the three novels will take total of about 100 hours to listen to, that means it will take me about another 40 days to listen to this book and another 40 days to listen to the second one.  

Allowing for days missed etc. that will put me into about March, or possibly Spring before I start on something else!  

I also have a Spanish tape on the iPod, which is very good.   

I actually have a “repurposed” iPhone, my original iPhone 3.  I have also “repurposed” Aliene’s 3S, so I have plenty of iPods, county my original iPad, my five shuffles and my iPod Nano.  

It is a little overwhelming.  I just can’t give away or not use something that is still good, no matter how old it is.  My iPod shuffles are an amazing 7 or 8 years old and have never had their batteries replaced. 

In reality when the batteries go out, it’s not  worth replacing the batteries since you can buy a brand new iPod cheaper than the battery for the old one.  As I have noted before I like the original shuffles much better than the later ones.

My original iPad battery is actually stronger than the newer iPads.  I use it every day as an iPod (it is too slow for many other tasks) for an hour or so.  It also makes a good note taker, except that it doesn’t sync with other programs like newer devices are.  

Of course, the original iPad doesn’t have near the demands on the battery the newer iPads do.

My Macbook Air has the best battery of any, it literally lasts for 10 to 12 hours.  I never bother to take a power cord  for it unless I am going to be gone overnight. 

Today is the last day of work before I am off Wednesday and Thursday.  It doesn’t seem like Christmas Eve is Wednesday and Christmas is Thursday.  

We had a nice evening Sunday evening with Aliene’s brother & wife and Sister and husband.  We took a “selfie” which is just wonderful!  
I am learning a lot about Evernote, hopefully it is becoming more valuable to me.  I think there is also the danger of trying to save too much. 

 My new shoes are helping a lot on my  walk, avoiding pain in my toe and foot.  It is a lot more fun to walk now.

That’s it for now, Tuesday, December 23, 2014.


No comments: