Friday, December 19, 2014

Fall 2014 December 19 Friday (Hot Water, Decorations, Music)



37 degrees this morning 57:44 minute walk, three earthquakes

Woke up to no hot water this morning.  I’m glad it wasn’t hotter during my walk.  I am trying to gird myself to taking a very quick cold shower.

Checked the water heater tank and there is water in the spill thing at the bottom, so I assume the water heater is terminal.  

One of those times I am glad we lease and don’t own the house.  

Countdown to the first day of Winter (but also the march towards Spring as the days start getting longer) begins Sunday!

The house looks especially “Christmasy”, I think, even without a traditional tree.  

Aliene has a variety of decorations that she gradually puts up and suddenly it is done!  

There are Santa’s, reindeer, sleighs, naivety scenes, bears (including one with angel wings that plays a very fine violin).

Christmas dogs, a number of small Christmas trees and a Christmas train!  She did a great job this year.  I’ll probably share some pictures!

We enjoy Christmas decorations and normally leave them up to enjoy  the “10 days of Christmas” into the new year.  

I also enjoy the Halloween decorations.  

I am wondering where all of the college football bowl games are this year?  I always thought they started in early December, but maybe it is in the last two weeks of the year.

I am probably about to get some new glasses. I didn’t absolutely need another pair of lenses (my eyes have only slightly changed in the last six years), but I definitely need some new frames.  

I was very pleased at the professionalism of the place I am looking to buy the glasses, although I don’t know the price yet!

I learned more about my face and head (as it relates to sys glasses) than I ever knew before!

Watching the Mormon Tabernacle Choir singing Christmas music on a PBS program.  

Of course I had always heard of them and one of the big highlights in 2001 (right after 9-1-1), I heard the Mormon Tabernacle Choir presentation in the Tabernacle.  

Even thinking of the experience now, I feel chills. (They performed the “Hallelujah Chorus” and a number of  songs appropriate to the time, rather than what I expect they had planned.)

I definitely didn’t get sleepy during that performance!

We flew there just a couple of days after the planes started flying again, so it was an experience in itself.

Speaking of music, I still remember the time I saw five generations of fiddle players.  The oldest (I believe in his eighties) was simply past his best playing days, the sixties person was still good, the forties was probably at this prime, the young person in his twenties was great, but room to improve and the ten year old was obviously very nervous!  

I’m not sure exactly what the ages were, but I remember the five generations and the illustrative stages of the music expertise of each generation, from the youngest who had a lot to learn, to the oldest who was past his peak.  Life goes on.


Thats it for now, Friday, December 19, 2014

No comments: