Saturday, December 20, 2014

Fall 2014 December 20 Saturday



59 degrees this morning 57:11 minutes walking three earthquakes

Our Aunt Eleanor had a stroke yesterday.  She is an amazing person, who, even at 94, regularly e-mailed and continued to have beautiful hand writing.  She was my mothers sister and they had the special relationship that sisters have.   

We are all pulling for her to recover quickly.  We really enjoy visiting with her at the Courter Reunion each summer.

Misty and cool yesterday.  Felt good to be a Friday.  I had one of “those” days in the field when unusual things seemed to happen.  

But that is what makes my job so interesting.

On the way back, I listened to Christmas music and sung along with the music.  (No, you probably wouldn’t have wanted to be there to hear me sing along!)  

I like listening to a wide variety of Christmas music, much as I like a wide variety of music.  It all is good depending on your mood.  

I like XM radio, it is so nice to have a choice in music or programming.  Even if I don’t want to listen to it, it is nice to know I have a choice.  

No fog during my walk this morning, that is the first time in several days that there hasn’t been a fog or light rain.

The hot water problem yesterday was a terminal water heater.  They came out and checked it out quickly and found it was not repairable.  

It couldn’t have been over 8 years old (the house was built in 2006)-unless they put in a used water heater-so I am surprised it went out so fast.

However, it had been repaired once before, so it must have been just a poor quality water heater, or at least one that had a problem. 

They came out very quickly, it is nice to lease from a good management company!

It is always rather jarring when you realize how fast something can go wrong and affect your  life.  

I never did try to take a cold shower.  I decided I wasn’t THAT bad!  I do have to admit I wouldn’t have walked quite so fast if I had known we didn’t have hot water.

That is one of the quandaries we are having about leasing versus buying a house.  There are a lot of advantages to leasing, but there are also a lot of advantages to owning your home.  

Of course, we are lucky we have a good management company.  They could have said it would be next week before they could do anything and we would have had no recourse, other than move in the future.

Of course, it could be just as hard to find someone to  do it quickly also!  

It is nice to not have any “surprise” repair costs for the house, and know our costs are basically set.  However, they could change if they decide to increase the lease cost and we don’t have any control over the house, as far as improvements we would like to make.

Such are the quandaries of life.


That’s it for today, Saturday December 20, 2014     

No comments: