Thursday, December 25, 2014

Winter 2014 December 25 Thursday



35 degrees this morning.  58:08 minutes walk.

Just realized I had been putting “Fall 2014” in the top, even though it is Winter.  

Merry Christmas!  

We had an excellent Christmas Eve family celebration.  I think everyone was there who could logically attend, which makes it extra nice.

This time of year I start to think of the year ahead.  I’m not a great person for writing “this was the year past”, I think I prefer to think about the year ahead, although we can learn a lot from examine our history and what happened in the past.

2014 was obviously a year of changes, but highlighted by our trip to China, our move, my new job and I’m sure other things I not thinking about.  

Christmas of course brings many memories, as each Christmas makes more memories.  Probably a memorable recent Christmas was when we were snowed in by 14” of snow and couldn’t get out of the hotel.  We literally ate out of vending machines.  At least we didn’t overeat!

We did decide that after that we would stay at a hotel that had meal service!  (Of course, we found out they suspended their meal service for Christmas Day, but getting snowed in didn’t re-occur.

While we are spending our first Christmas at “home” since 2000, we actually spent each Christmas with family, since our “home” was Lakeland.

Of course, most Christmas memories are about the people involved or events, not “things” or gifts, although I do remember some of the more thoughtful gifts.

One  Christmas memory that was a little different, but very fun was the Christmas I “played Santa” and delivered gifts to children in town that otherwise may not have had any Christmas presents. 
I actually wore a Santa suit (which fit a little too well!) and drove around waving at children (and adults) and delivering gifts to wide-eyed children.  I also visited Angela (who still believed in Santa) and she didn’t realize until years later that it was me.

When I was a child, I can remember getting up early for Christmas.  It seemed (and he may will have) that my Dad deliberately tarried doing the chores.  He was the type person who liked (in my mind) to anticipate, frequently he wouldn’t open a gift for a long time, so I think he enjoyed the anticipation.  

Aliene and I have developed the Christmas pattern of celebrating Christmas Eve with our families and then just spending a quiet Christmas Day and eat out for lunch. 

Although we have done other things like take a day trip Christmas Day (one time we went the Great Salt Plains Park in Oklahoma and when my sister lived closer, we’ll meet her and her husband and our niece for a visit on Christmas.    We  used to go the Christmas Day hockey game Christmas evening when they had hockey on Christmas Day.  

We keep it flexible!

Merry Christmas to all who read this. I hope you are having (or had) a memorable and pleasant Christmas.


That’s it for now, Thursday, December 25, 2014.

No comments: