Friday, October 31, 2014

Fall 2014 October 31 Friday (Earthquakes, Mississippi River)



54  degrees this morning. 55:00   minute walk, Seven earthquakes in last 24 hours.

A year ago, I certainly never would have thought I would causally mention there were 7 earthquakes in the last 24 hours!  One was a 3.4, the rest were in the 2.5 range.  Really strange.  

I haven’t felt an earthquake yet, may be just as good.

In Memphis they  said “the big one” was coming sometime, not a matter of if, but when.  It will probably liquidity the area around the Mississippi River.

I always loved to look at and drive over the Mississippi River. It held a  certain magic for me, probably from reading Mark Twain.  

I always thought about going down the Mississippi on a raft and I  really don’t see myself doing that!  

I always enjoyed the river cruises and seeing the changes in the river.  The Mississippi is truly “mighty”.   

I always liked the information about how much shorter time it was to go “down” the river than “up” the river  (With versus against the current made a big difference.)

It’s Friday!  Today I am going out in the field with my “Lead” who will  observe                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     how I do.  It will be interesting.

Thursday I spent the morning in the computer class and then spent the afternoon in my home office preparing for today’s field day.

I probably spent too much time preparing (and will forget something), but doing it is how I learn.  I think I am prepared,.

Watching the PBS show on “Roosevelt's “ last night.  (We had taped it several months ago.)  Actually, we wanted the second episode.   I knew a lot of it from reading the “Bully Pulpit” but it is still interesting.  

Read an article in the New York Times about how “Red Bull” bought it’s way out of an investigation.  (The “Red Bull” drink with a lot of caffeine.  In spite of my love of coffee, I don’t drink any of the caffeinated drinks like this.).  It was a story about how a number of “Red Bull” type businesses were concerned about the “investigation” of their projects..  

They attended a national association  of State Attorney Generals, spread some campaign funding around and suddenly the investigations disappeared!  Really sickening.  People elected to protect people are corrupted by campaign funding. 

It is different working in my home office. I really enjoy ii.  I just shut the door at starting time and work.  When it is time to quit, I come out and that is it!  A very short commute!  
Halloween.  We are planning on “celebrating” by going to a movie (“Gone Girl”, probably).  

I am still not used to not working on evenings or weekends.  While I have plenty to do anyway, I always start to feel a little guilty until I realize I’m not supposed to work evenings or weekends! 

Actually, I love it.  I feel like I am partially retired or something!


That’s it for now, Friday, October 31, 2014.  Have a  fun Halloween and a nice weekend!

No comments: