Wednesday, October 01, 2014

Fall 2014 October 1 Wednesday (Books)



75 degrees this morning.  54:39  minutes walking. 3 Earthquakes (3.0 18 km away, 2.6 67 km away, 2.6 100 km away)

October 1!  The rest of the year will quickly pass as the holidays soon will be here and then it will be 2015, a year I couldn’t really even envision when I was younger and it is here!  Not just 2015, but any year over 2000. 

I occasionally see the book “1984” and I have to remind myself that it isn’t the future, it is long gone!

Aliene and I have haven’t been to a movie for a long time.  Not that we don’t enjoy movies, we just either haven’t had time or weren’t interested in the movies being shown, at least enough to get the motivation to go to a movie.  

I think one thing that turns me off about movies is that too many people act like they are at home, talk, make comments etc.  However, when we go to movies I don’t recall really being bothered by it.

Some time ago, we listened to “Gone Girl”.  It was a great book, with many twists and turns.  We do plan to see “Gone Girl” when it comes out!  (Well, probably after it has been out for a while so the crowd is less!)

After we read, or rather heard “Gone Girl”, we decided to listen to all of her other books (most of them earlier books) and they were also good.

We actually have discovered quite a few authors by listening (or reading) authors we didn’t know.  It is always enjoyable to find an author we didn’t know and discover a new author whose books we love.

One of my favorite authors who writes very little is Nicholas Evans,  (The Horse Whisperer, The Loop, The Smoke Jumper). We like a lot of other authors, I just mentioned him because he happened to come to mind, since he writes very few books. 

Tony Hillerman is also one of our favorite authors.  He wrote novels primarily about the American Indian tribes (Hopi and other) and included a lot of cultural aspects which were fascinating.  I actually met him and have an autographed book by him.  (He died several years ago, and his daughter actually wrote a book that extended his novels.)  

I don’t want to mention any more of our favorite authors for fear I will leave a favorite out!.

One event I really enjoyed was a book club that started in Lakeland about several years ago.  It was nice to read and book and discuss it with other readers.  Maybe we can find one where we live now when things settle down a little and I get into the regular routine of my job and our life.  

Another “field day” tomorrow as I get closer to going out on my own on my job.  We are getting the home office set up in anticipation.  (Part of the training is for a trained person to come to your home office for a day and help you set it up etc., or more likely, look at what you have set up and make pointers about improvements or what you are doing right.)

I promised myself I’ll pay attention tomorrow morning during my walk. Since it is dark, I could more easily lose my way, so to speak. 

When I upgrade my mobile phone, I probably will make my current iPhone 5 my “work” phone as well as my “walking” and “bicycle phone”.  It will be out of contract so it won’t be quite so bad if it is broken.  That will give me access to a GPS if necessary!

I currently use an ancient Nokia flip phone (probably over 100 years old in “cell phone years” s it relates to human years!  I think the phone, with the original battery, is about nine years old.  

I still use all of my old iPhones as iPods etc, and they work great for that, at least until their battery expires.  I don’t know the life time of an iPhone battery since none of them have gone out.  In fact, all of my original iPods etc. (4 over 8 years old) are still operational on the original battery.


That’s it for now, Tuesday, October 1, 2014. 

No comments: