Sunday, October 12, 2014

Fall 2014 October 12 Sunday



50 Degrees this morning  57:04  minute walk  two earthquakes in past 24 hours

Donned cold weather clothes this morning, probably a little too soon.

Cool, wet and nasty weather Saturday for the most part, probably continuing today.  In a way a relaxing day, in a way a hectic day.

Finished the book about “Caffeine”.  It was really interesting and made me feel better about all of the coffee I drink!  I never have used other types of caffeine (the “energy drinks etc.) and don’t really intend too.

I keep thinking I need to start setting up my office and get ready for Tuesday, and then I remember I am supposed to do that Monday as part of my work day and I’m not supposed to do office work (for my job) unless I make it official work hours.! 

I can actually relax and do something personal!

Aliene and I have sweatshirts with two opposing  “State rivals” on them.  We get a kick out of going out for breakfast (or elsewhere) and getting the kidding comments about “a house divided” etc.  Obviously, we don’t get all that worked up over a game and usually support the other university if they aren’t playing our favorite , but it is fun.  If one is in the running for  a championship etc. we may even quietly support the other one!

Starting reading “1861 Civil War Awakening” . It is interesting because it’s not really about the war, it really is about society at that time.  

It has come that time when we drag out the winter clothes and try to figure out how to switch from cool to heat and hope the heat works!  

The weather here is colder than in Memphis, not necessarily in degrees but in the chill, especially when it is raining out or the wind is blowing (or normally both!).

We have about decided to try to do with one car for awhile.  We can easily rent a car if we need one, at least until we see different.  

I have been writing this daily journal (and publishing it on the internet) for over a year (I’ll have to check).  

It becomes habit forming and I enjoy it.  Even if no-one reads it, it is worth it to me (sometimes it may be better if no one reads it!).  Some day the words flow, rarely, but occasionally they don’t.

I do love to write.  When I write, sometimes I feel the words flow like a song and I almost can’t get the words down fast enough.

I have fortunately always loved to type.  When I was in high school, I took two years of tipping and (if I remember correctly, I can’t find it), got a 90 word per minute pin.  

This really helped when computers became popular!  I loved to write on computers because you can get so many more words on the paper (or screen I guess, until you print).

Better yet, it is so much easier to file what you have written and find it!
I can remember writing out pages of letters, grant applications etc. on “legal pads” and having them typed, or retyped or typing them myself numerous times as I revised them.  

Even now, if it is real important, I will print something out and review it, but most of my review is on the computer.  

I loved computers from when they first came out and was always frustrated by the early limitations on what they could do (as I am now!).


That’s it for now, Sunday, October 12, 2014.

No comments: