Monday, October 20, 2014

Fall 2014 October 20 Monday (Forty Years Ago, On the Road)


60 degrees this morning.   56:44 minute walk,  2 earthquakes in past 24 hours.

Another great day Sunday, weather wise

Forty years ago today I was driving to Liberal, Kansas to start my first full time job with a City.  I was hired as  the Administrative Assistant to the City Manager (later Community Development Director).  I had no idea what the following 40 years would bring!

Actually it wasn’t the first time I had worked for a City.  I worked for a city in high school and actually helped the water superintendent try to find a water leak.  We dug up this persons yard and for the first (but not the last time) I heard someone threaten to sue!

I finally “witched” the water line with a couple of clothes hangers.  

We spend a large part of the day cleaning out (or rather, reorganizing) the garage so we could get two cars in it.  (It is actually a 3 car garage, so it was kind of embarrassing we could only get one car into it!)

We stored stuff in the attic, tossed more stuff and otherwise downsized and reorganized.  

I’m pretty confident we can get both cars into the garage, or at least I hope so now!

I heard the author of the “Hot Zone”  on Meet the Press  (the book about Ebola I had read years ago)  and he wrote the book in  1994!  Talk about an early warning ignored!  I remember wondering when I read the book why I didn’t hear more about it, or rather more about why there wasn’t some campaign to develop a defense to Ebola.

To top that, I saw a “Frontline” report on the growing of a disease resistant to antibiotics, due to the use of antibiotics for animal food, which gets into the dust etc.  Again, right or wrong, there are powerful groups who have a financial interest in ignoring this problem. 

This has been ignored for almost 40 years! (1977) when the problem was first observed and reviewed by the Federal Drug Administration!  

Aliene has been advised that there are more Gluten problems like she has due to hybridization of food etc and other addictive.  

Makes you wonder when it will acknowledged and studied.  In this case, it wasn’t just food, it was also the dust that could cause problems in people.  

There is an art exhibit from Chinese artists with art just since 1976 near me.  I plan on going to see it.  It is supposed to be one of most comprehensive shows of artists after 1976 (after the Cultural Revolution ).

Still entertained by “Lonesome Dove” on my morning walk.  I am enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would, which is always nice.

Again, I am seining a lot of material to the landfill that should be part of recycling.  Today, for the first time since we first moved in, I have more trash than recycling.  (Two 96 gallon cars full of cardboard etc. and two overflowing recycling bins with two bags of additional recycling material.

Why they don’t recycle corrugated cardboard or supply covers for the recycling bins (the wind has been known to blow here!), I don’t know.  

As I have mentioned previously, the next city over has bike paths, walking trails an landscaped roads (at least the new ones).  Here they are building the same old junk, no walking or biking trails, sidewalks that quickly get overgrown (or parked on by cars who ignore the sidewalk).  It is too bad, but the next time we move, you know where we are moving (as is everyone else!).  It is like Lakeland used to be.

Have two days of compeer truing (training in the software we use) and then hopefully I will be assigned to my home office and start working independently, or at least handling my own territory with a senior persons observing.

Planning on picking up the new car today (assuming it is ready).  They had to go to Texas to pick it up.  


That’s it for now, Monday, October 20, 2014. 

No comments: