Thursday, October 30, 2014

Fall 2014 October 30 Thursday (Computers, Peanut Butter and MPG)



54  degrees this morning.   56:45 minute walk,  five earthquakes in last 24 hours.

Reminder about Aliene and my new cell phone numbers.  Our old numbers are disconnected, so if you need our new numbers let us know!

We decided to go ahead and change without keeping the old numbers, hoping that we could notify everyone.

I am looking forward to the iPhone 6 plus as well as upgrading my job phone to the iPhone 5 I currently use.  (My cell phone is my business phones, I  don’t have a business phone in the normal sense, since my office is in my house or in my car, depending on which day it is. ) 

I literally carry my office with me, with a computer, printer, files etc. when I am in the field. I stagger out to the car with my computer bag, lunch, a briefcase etc.  

Somewhat like the “Lincoln Lawyer” (if any of you have read that), except I don’t have a driver, unfortunately! 

Completed a day of computer training in the major program we use today.  It was interesting.  I know enough about it to know I don’t know , so I learned quite a bit since I knew what I didn’t know.

More about peanut butter in the book I am reading about peanut butter.  I am currently reading about my favorite “Jif” peanut butter and how the brand developed and didn’t really take off until it was sold to Smuckers. (I normally eat crunchy, although regular is ok.)  

I was surprised to reach that “crunchy” peanut butter was started several years after regular butter and wasn’t accepted well at first.  (It is made by adding peanuts).  

I have to admit I was totally disgusted by the announcing for the world series.  Sports are sports, and routine plays are hardly something to act lit it its a miracle.  The announcers were so poor, I should have shut the sound off.  I can’t believe they had such poor announcers for the World Series.

We always tape the games (even sports), so we were able to speed past many of their inane comments.

Of course, I never liked the focus on announcers anyway, since I really don’t care what the announcer think.

Anyway, as I said about “sports are sports”, so I forget about it before I develop the incentive to write the company about my feelings, and I’m sure I will forget about it by the time anyone reads this.

One thing I have confirmed with the car is that “short trips” really do get much worse gas mileage.  As I mentioned before, my car provides the “miles per gallon” after literally every trip.  Short trips (say less than 5 miles) get about 50-60 % of the gas mileage of a longer trip.  For example, my trip to work is about 13 mils and I get about 43 mpg.  

However, on a short trip, I may get as little as 20 mpg, although normally a short trip is around 30 mpg.  I’m not knowledgable enough to understand whey it is this way, although it might just be that a short trip measures different.  

Cooler weather (meaning in the 40’s) is definitely here.  I was surprised to get up Wednesday morning to 41 degree temperature and it stayed relatively cool all day.  Although it was 54 degrees this morning, it felt almost as cold as the 41 yesterday due to the wind. 

Another day of class today (Thursday).

That’s it for now, Thursday, October 30, 2014.





No comments: