Sunday, October 19, 2014

Fall 2014 October 19 Sunday (Lonesome Dove)



56  degrees this morning.   56:42 minute walk,  six  earthquakes in past 24 hours.

Another super day Saturday, weather wise.  

We resumed unpacking and relocating items to finish setting up home offices (one for me and one for Aliene) and clean and sort our the garage. 

It is slowly getting easier to toss stuff.  We took several boxes of items to the local Goodwill.  

I got my “Apple TV” hooked up in my office.  (There isn’t any cable tv hookup in my office, which may be just as well since it is a “home work” office and not an office like I used to have that I did a variety of personal office items.  I can use Aliene’s office for that also.)

One thing, in order to deduct the office as a “home office” I have to use it “exclusively” for the purpose of the office, so I am trying to comply with that so I can deduct it off my taxes, plus the research I have to do in my home office is fairly intensive and requires concentration.

I am trying to upload my pictures to my Flickr Account.  I was surprised to find I have two Flickr accounts (and maybe more), but my main one is RobertPaulWherry.  I may attempt to merge them, although I only have 19 photos on my other one.  

I think I can use my Flickr account to organize my photos, if I am figuring it right.  I also believe iPhoto is being changed and made much more powerful.  

Trying to decide where the car is going to live.  We need to have some items in the garage, so it will be a matter of how we place the cars and also the other items.  (Other items include bicycles, a garage refrigerator and various tools etc. that belong in a garage and not the house! )

Started listening to “Lonesome Dove” on my walk.  I have never tried to listen to a novel on my walk before, so I wasn’t sure how it would go, and I was pleasantly surprised that it seemed to go relatively well.  

I maintained interest and got involved in the novel.  I don’t plan to make it a habit, I like listening to non-fiction on my walk, but I wanted to see what the novel “Lonesome Dove” was about.

I believe in about March of 1989, it was a tv series, and of course it was a popular book before that .  

I have never read the book and didn’t watch the tv series, so it is all new to me.  So far, it has been somewhat funny and interesting.  I hope so, since it is about 36 hours long!

One quote that struck me was the comment that “She talked about a lot less than she knew and he talked about a lot more than she knew, so they were a perfect match”.

I normally listen to music or news on my car radio, but I am thinking of getting some Spanish language iPod podcasts etc.   Much of my “field” area involves people whose primary language may be Spanish.  I don’t expect to become fluent, but it may help me understand and make myself understood better.

I felt the chill in the weather this morning and thought it was getting to that time when I would not really be warm again until next summer.  It was actually a nice day today  so I may have more of a chance to enjoy warm weather.

Had an episode this mooring of an extremely rude local persons.  My first thought was that would never happen in Memphis and I think that is true.  It was insignificant in the overall scheme of things, but some of the causal rudeness and thoughtfulness around here is amazing.  


That’s it for now, Sunday, October 19, 2014.

No comments: