Saturday, October 04, 2014

Fall 2014 October 4 Saturday



43  degrees this morning, 54:18  minute walk (different route); 2 earthquakes  in last 24 hours

The weekend is here!  We were just talking last night how much we miss our routine “Friday night activities” in Lakeland, which included meeting some friends for dinner and then meeting afterwards for some type of game and good conversation! 

The chilly weather is definitely here with 43 degrees this morning.  Always hard to decide how to dress, I dressed a little too warm this morning.

It is supposed to warm up to to about 68 degrees today, so it should be a great day.

Our household goods arrived 3 months ago yesterday, so we have basically lived here three months.  Thursday marked one month on my current job, at least in calendar time.

Completed the week at work with some computer training on a new version of the basic system we a4e using at work.   I am becoming more and more comfortable with the computer programs we use there.

Decided to change direction on the purchase/lease of a car.  I got a quote on a car (hybrid version which is more expensive than the gas version) that was a hybrid and then supposedly they sold it.  So I asked for a quote for a cheaper version (actually the gas only version), the quote came back almost the same, so I decided it might be better to deal with another dealer!  I get very tired of dealing with auto dealers and there little tricks to get a few more dollars out of you.

I was already suspicious of the dealership anyway.  For one reason, they ignored my request for a copy of the lease agreement before I came by, and of course the “sale” of the car shortly before I make a decision followed by huge increases in the lease price of the vehicle they want to lease of sell you.  

Of course, they follow it up with long delays, followed by high pressure techniques to “sell” you insurance you don’t need from from “insurance” on the interior to a high cost (high profit item for the dealership) for an “extended warranty” which they try to high pressure you into buying. 

Some of the techniques of some new car dealers would make a weasel or a used car dealer blush in shame.  

I will probably try to buy something over the internet, or purchase a vehicle (new or used) at a ‘fixed-price place .   Another possible alternative is to work something out at the dealer for the same car we have now and I’d keep our current car as my work car.

We’ll see, fortunately I’m not in any real hurry and I have a lot of alternatives.

Finished listening to “1861 The Civil War Awakening” this morning during my walk.  Started listening to it again to pick up what I missed, but I’ll probably start reading the book itself and listen to another book.  It was a great book.  


The public library here is a great library and has e-books, audio-books and e-magazines as well as a good selection of regular books.  I do need to learn how to download the audio books to my iPods.  

That's it for now, Saturday, October 4, 2014

No comments: