Friday, October 10, 2014

Fall 2014 October 10 Friday



75 degrees this morning.  54;46 minute walk.  five earthquakes in last 24 hours. 

Storm coming in from the north.  Light rain with heavy lightning.  

My job continues to become more intriguing ever day as I learn more about it.  It involves a good balance of research and “customer” contact to keep it interesting.  I will set up my “home office” Monday and do my first “independent” field work Tuesday.  

It is very fast paced, which I like, but, on the other hand, I am not expected (in fact I can’t) work more than 40 hours per week.  I enjoy the research and then the immediate application of the research.

I am amazed at how fast the “shorter” days came.  It used to be almost sunlight when I drove to work and it is now dark, even though I have been working slightly over a month. Evening also gets dark fast.  Since it is only October, it kind of caught me by surprise, although I am sure this is the usual thing.  

A lot time ago, I read a book about Ebola (“The Hot Zone”) and I wondered why I didn’t hear more about it.  At the time, the book more or less indicated it had the potential to be a major problem and that time apparently has arrived.   

I thought about that when I read an article from an “alternative” or perhaps “non major media” internet news magazine sent to me.  I recognized that it was pointing “smoke”, as in “where there’s smoke there is fire”.  

I don’t know if all of his predictions are even close to being true, but I think it is important to raise the questions.  

Perhaps if more attention had been paid to the “Hot Zone”, the current problem could have been resolved, although I believe the book was widely read.

Listening to “1861 the Civil War Awakening” again while I walk.  I may not listen to the entire book again, although it contains  a lot of new information and thought and concepts that I enjoy hearing and thinking about.  I also have a copy of the book I intend to read after I finish the book about “caffeine”.  

Speaking of “enjoying where I am at”,  in Lakeland I lived probably no more than 60 miles from one of the biggest Civil War battlefields (Shiloh) and never went, although i did visit some smaller ones in Tennessee.  Now I will have to reserve a day to visit when I visit Memphis in the future!  i always planned on doing it “sometime”.  

Planning on a day of intense research in preparation for my office day Monday and the field day Tuesday.


That’s it for now, Friday, October 10, 2014.

No comments: