Friday, October 03, 2014

Fall 2014 October 3 Friday (Chilly Weather!)



57  degrees this morning, 49:05  minute walk (different route); two earthquakes 

This is the time of year where it is difficult to decide how to dress, both for my walk and for the day.  At what temperature do I quit wearing shorts or wear my stocking cap over my ears etc?  

Trivial until you are out there in the wrong clothes!

Aliene’s birthday yesterday.  I hope she had a good day!  

We went to a new place for her birthday.  I ordered what I thought was a “light” meal, a “small plate” and a bowl of soup.  I ended up waddling out of the restaurant more stuffed that I have been for a long time from the “light” meal.  I think partly that  the food was rich.  

The food was really, really good.  Coffee wasn’t all that good, but we really enjoyed the food and experience.  I don’t know why restaurants don’t pay more attention to providing decent, hot coffee.

Aliene got a card from a friend making a joke about how age supposedly affects your memory and realized after she had signed it that she sent the same card last year!  (Aliene got the card and mentioned she thought she had sent it last year and then saw the note from her friend.)

We had an extra dose of fudge tonight to celebrate her  birthday also.  Almost every night, we eat a small portion of her fudge as a small reward.  (When the fudge runs out, we split a snickers bar).  It was good!)

Aliene’s mother made the fudge for years, now Aliene is making it, primarily at Christmas. We have a lot of fudge left over from last year.

I happened to think today that it has been 40 years! since I graduated from Wichita State University!  I thought of it since I happened to meet another Wichita State University graduate.  

I still remember reading the cultural shock of going back to school again and reading  “The Structure of Scientific Revolutions” and how hard I worked to get back into academic thinking (after 4 years in the Air Force).  I enjoyed WSU and Wichita.  WSU had some really excellent professors and generally an excellent college.  

I was “in the field” today with another experienced person and had some really positive results .  It was different and a lot of fun.  It included a small part of my duties, and I really learned a lot.  

We are enjoying watching the baseball playoffs etc.  We felt lucky that we could pick up the St Louis Cardinals almost every game and now we’ll see how they do in the play-offs.  

We enjoyed seeing Kansas City win their one-game playoff and will root for them as long as  they aren’t playing St. Louis!  I can remember the Kansas City Athletics and the “new” Kansas City Royals when I lived “near” Kansas City.

I was shocked the other day to look at myself and realize how gray my hair looked!   I am still looking for a decent place to get my hair cut and I think the longer hais shows the gray more than shorter hair does.  I’ll find someplace soon. 

Like a Dentist, a good person to cut my hair is hard to  find!  

I went to a shop (I won’t name it, since it is a franchise operation and each one is probably different), and she butchered my hair.  I’lll keep looking, I’m sure I’ll find a good one someplace.  

Decided to start “entertainment reading” again, so I am reading Janet Evanovich “Top Secret Twenty-One”.  

We read the fist of her series (I think from the very first one to 18) and then got a little burned out on the series, but I”m glad I started re-reading it since it is funny.


That’s it for now, Friday, October 3, 2014

No comments: