Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Fall 2014 October 15 Wednesday (Computer programs)



47  degrees this morning.  56:03  minute walk, two earthquakes in past 24 hours.

Funny how 47 degrees is warmer in some cases (like this morning) than 54 or even 61 degrees on other days.

Chilly/cold weather is definitely here. I know in a few months, 4i7 degrees will be “warm”, but right now it is still cold!

First day of “in the field” as the “lead” while I am shadowed by a more experienced person.  As usual, what you don’t expect, happens and the day was a lot different then I expected, but it was overall good and, best of all, I learned a lot.

One factor I know was coming,but couldn’t really plan for, was the new version of computer software had just been started.  Although they did a good job of training for the upgrade, the usual bugs, changes etc. came up.  Nothing really serious, but it took a lot of time to work through.

It was fun, and, as usual, I realized how much I still don’t know, although I think I’m at the point where I can work through almost anything by knowing where and who to ask the questions. 

It feels strange “starting over” again.  I remember my first City Manager job, I was reading magazines and books n city operations,  As time went on, I realized some decisions I was making were being made based on experience and I didn’t need to really think about it, I just know.  

Of course I learned I had to avoid being too automatic where I a situation may be slightly different and require a completely different decision.  

First time on my drive to work that an accident delayed me, in this case enough to actually make me late. I always wondered what someone did when they were delayed by one of those long traffic jams, and i know how.  You just sit there and wait.  There isn’t a thing you can do about it. 

Today (Wednesday), I have a “field day” in a new area, with a person I haven’t met before.  It will be an opportunity to learn some new techniques and ideas.  

Right now, I mainly need to go through the process and learn what I don’t know by actually doing “live” situations. 

I noted my journal entries are getting shorter.  I think I just have to say what I have to say and sign off.  It seems to run in cycles.  

It could be that we may be developing new routines, which may tend to curb my thoughts as I concentrate on what I need to learn at work etc.

It could  even be the arrival of cold weather, which I always found  to be sort of restraining.

I really miss getting the newspapers early in the morning, but am adjusting. (I read them in the evening.)  Since I know this isn’t a permanent situation, it is something I can deal with.

Something I never expected to do was get by a en entire day with just one cup of coffee, which I frequently have done in the recent past!  While I haven’t felt any withdrawal pains, I prefer to have my coffee!  

I believe I know I can get a cup of coffee which is what is important!  I can leave the office and get coffee, and I can always stop and get coffee when I am in the field. 

Of course, I hate drinking coffee in the car, since I tend to spill it, so I decided to that I would rather not have coffee than spill it!


That’s it for now, Wednesday, October 15, 2014.

No comments: