Monday, October 06, 2014

Fall 2014 October 6 Monday (Coffee)



60 degrees this morning.  no walk (light rain) Two earthquakes in past 24 hours

Ready for another week of work.  Good weekend overall.  Rain late Sunday night.

I started reading the book on “Caffeine”  (Murray Carpenter, “Caffeinated”) and just about finished the book, it was so interesting.  I learned a lot about caffeine, (and coffee) and how it affects you etc.  I was surprised to learn that many athletics use it (especially long distance runners, bikers etc.) and how some experts feel it affects sleep etc.

I’m one of those people who can drink a cup (or many cups) of coffee and go to sleep.n  I still feel the effects of it in the morning.

I used to drink 8 to 10 cups before I even went to work, but now I drink about 2 -3 cups prior to going to work.  I still haven’t found a good place to get coffee, so sometimes I go all day without coffee.  

When I start my home office, I”m sure I’ll have coffee throughout the day again.  

I love good coffee (it has to be hot and fresh!) at any time of the day or night for that matter.  I always say it is my one remaining vice!  However, in recent years, studies have shown the benefits of coffee/caffeine so I can’t even say it is a vice!

I do not hesitate to return lukewarm/old coffee in a restaurant.  It costs too much to not have a good fresh cup of coffee!

Actually, other than the coffee I make at home, which I feel is the best (either Starbucks French Dark Road or my new favorite Starbucks Venetian, my favorite-especially if I am driving- is a fresh cup of McDonalds coffee.  I like Starbucks coffee, but I can’t drink it while I am driving unless I can find a good cup.

The regular McDonalds coffee cup, while not spill proof, is very easy to drink while driving and and very good.  I always (if not breakfast) ask them to make me a new pot, since old McDonalds coffee is putrid.

I have found that if I get Starbucks ice-coffee, I have to be careful, or I feel like I shouldn’t be driving, since for some reason it gives ma a “coffee buzz” unlike any other coffee.

Since I don’t/can’t drink carbonated beverages, a good cup of coffee is essential to me!

Aliene and I went to Starbucks this morning.  (We enjoy going and just spending some time drinking coffee and reading/working on the computer etc.  It is a nice respite.  We used to do it once a week, and just did it this morning, and it was nice.  

My only problem with Starbucks is I frequently have a problem signing on to the internet (more so than McDonalds, or any other place).  Once you got on though, it is the fastest around.

I actually stop by my favorite McDonalds almost every morning for cup of coffee during the commute and at work.  Sometimes I get a parfait also, which I love and, at .99 is a real bargain.  I guess I have become a “regular” since everyone smiles and waves at me each morning.  I’ll feel like a traitor when I start my home office and no longer stop by!  (Although I probably will on my “field” days.  

As you can see, coffee is important to me!


That’s it for now, Monday, October 6, 2014.

No comments: