Friday, May 15, 2015

Spring 2015 May 15 Friday


69 degrees this morning, 45:05 minute walk

Hopefully, the 69 degrees this morning is as cold as it will be until next Fall!  

Right after I got back from my walk this morning, I took my shower, came out and heard thunder and a heavy rain!  To be honest, I didn’t have any idea it was going to rain. 

‘The Innovators” by Walter Isaacson is really interesting.  I am listening to it while I walk.  He reviews, basically the history of innovation of electronics.  

it is always interesting to see the little jigs and jags that determined history.  (Silicon Valley developed primarily in that area because William Shockley wanted to be close to his mother etc., although that is probably too simplified.  The defense contractors, colleges etc. also played an important role.)

He also points out the the importance of communication and the variety of professions involved in innovation.  I’m going to have to read the book also so pick up on things I missed while listening to it.  

I doubt if there will be a movie of it!

One thing I haven’t mentioned donating or disposing of, is my collection of Hot Wheels (and other brands).  They have actually been sitting in boxes (for the most part, I may have several hundred out).  I look forward to liberating them, maybe, in the new house.  Not a huge priority, but hopefully I can get them displayed somewhere inconspicuous.  

I don’t know what the attraction is, but they are something I like.  I may use my new camera to continue cataloging them.

 The rain continues.  It has had the effect of replenishing most of the lakes in the area. While they are still below “normal”, they are  a lot  higher than they were.  They are a primary source of drinking water around here, so that is a relief.

I am surprised why “bottled water” is suddenly such a criticized product. (To some degree where it is banded etc.).  I don’t hear anything about soft drinks, bottled tea and coffee etc., and they use just as much water.  

Of course that is said with the self-righteous  view of someone who hasn’t had a carbonated drink for probably 8 years. I do like the “Gold Peak” diet tea, when I can find it.  I don’t care for bottled coffee, frankly I don’t see the point.  

I have tried to avoid artificial sweetener. Of course, too much of anything is bad, but the only artificial sweetener I use anymore if in the Gold Peak diet tea, at least on a regular basis.  I figure at my age, the risk is worth the pleasure I get out of it. 

It is so expensive ($1.48 for a 18 ounce bottle), I didn’t drink much of it until I found I could buy a 59 oz for $2.00 (why the odd size, I don’t know) and put it in an insulated cup and drink it cold all day.  

On my “field day” yesterday, I had a good time.  I dealt with entirely new problems and it was interesting.


That’s it for now, Friday, May 15, 2015.

No comments: