Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Spring 2015 May 26 Tuesday



56  degrees this morning. 45:26 minute  walk

I wonder if summer will ever arrive?  55 degrees on May 26?  I remember one summer where summer really never arrived, although I remember one summer that basically arrived in February.  

It may balance out, but it isn’t any fun in the “negative” period of the balancing!  

Thinking doubt the watch I wear to time myself.  That battery has lasted at least ten years that I can track it.  I think it was around a $2.00 watch that I got to wear when I swim.  It is amazing that it has lasted so long.  

Returning to work after a three-day holiday is always a little strange.  I kind of get in the groove of the weekend and then the holiday, although it is good to get back into the work routine also.  

I think what is rather strange is that, unlike in the past, I do no work (as in job work) over the weekend,  I have been working on moving etc, but that is different.  In the past I would probably work at least 20 hours over the weekend on paperwork, preparing for meetings etc.  

We did order a refrigerator yesterday, since our current house has a refrigerator (that goes with the house) in it and we sold ours with the Lakeland house.  

The rain continues, although it was a relatively light rain  The sun actually came out for a little bit today, before it clouded up again.  

“The Innovators” by Walter Isaacson, has really been a good “listen”.  I was surprised at how much of our current technology is the way it is due to chance.  

Without much of a change, we could be using “dumb” terminals connected to a central computer, which I think would have not provided for a lot of innovative inventions we have now.

I think it also points out the problem with allowing too much control by patents etc.  I think some of the computer complaint now spend more on lawsuits on “patent trolls” than they do on research.

Obviously, innovation needs some protection to encourage innovation, but too much is too much. 

Actually, many of the important milestone of innovation resulted form free-flowing ideas that were buildit on.

I always wonder about the 14 to 18 year old kids who spent hours on working on computer problems and projects, including literally spending all day and night working on computers.  

While I admire them, I can’t imagine doing that when I was that  age, which is probably one reason I’m not rick and/or famous, which isn’t all bad.  Everyone to their own life.

Working on getting my pictures uploaded to Flickr.  I currently have about 10,000 pictures uploaded and 20,000 to go.  The major problem is keeping the computer on, it try to “sleep”, which stops the uploading process, even though I changed the settings to “never sleep”.   

The battery on my laptop normally lasts all day, but with the uploading, it eats the battery up fast.

We are in the nuts and bolts of moving now.  I have been going through papers now, trying to throw away any papers I don’t need, as well as getting ride of any knick-knacks I have that I don’t absolutely need. 

Ah yes, “the bird”.  I actually have not seen “the bird” for several weeks now.  I think they have given up, although I am puzzled by how often my car ends up with bird poop on it since the “bird battle” started earlier this year. 

Not that I really believe that the birds are targeting my car, but….. strange things happen!

At this time, there are 22,232 photos to be uploaded.  I wonder how it knows how many photos are left?


That’s it for now, Tuesday, May 26, 2015

No comments: