Monday, May 25, 2015

Spring 2015 May 25 Monday (Memorial Day 2015)


66 degrees this morning  45:58 minutes walk

Heavy rain again yesterday.  This is really getting out of hand!  There is water all over the place.  Fortunately, our addition is relativity well drained, although the detention ponds are full.

Memorial Day. I remember when I was a kid, we went to Soldier, Kansas every Memorial Day, usually taking “the parallel” road.

The Parallel was called that because it was literally one of the earth’s “parallel’s”. I used to think if I followed the road,I wold go around he world.  I guess literally that was true, but….  operationally, it may have posed some problems.  I need to look up which parallel it was.

We went to Soldier to the cemetery and then the local residents of Soldier, Kansas made a wonderful lunch.  They still do this, and they did this when both my Dad and Mom were buried in the cemetery.  

I was always amazed a small city like Soldier (literally probably has no more than 500 residents) could get so well organized and do this for years (at least 70 years that I am aware of).  I guess it develops in their municipal and area DNA, but it is really a wonderful service.  

Anyway, I would also walk outside and listen to the “Indianapolis 500”.  Why I was intrigued by it, I don’t know.

Of course that was also normally the start of Summer vacation also  Since my Dad and Mom were both teachers (although at different times sometimes), it was especially significant.  

Yesterday I bit the bullet and started saving my photos to Flickr.  They have some new software which makes it easier to upload.

All 33,000+photos.  I started at around 6:00 p.m. last night and they are still being uploaded. 

i didn’t realize the computer would go to sleep and stop uploading, so I set it to never go to sleep. Hopefully it will help me get everything organized.  The speed of uploading varies widely, but I think is is around a 1,000 photos per hour.

It will really be nice because I can access my entire photo library from any computer, iPad or cellphone  and it is fairly simple  

I saw a bunch of my China pictures and realize it has been a year since we returned.  Since I took a lot of pictures, I am still organizing.

It looks like with Flickr, I can make notes on them easily, which will really make it nice. ‘

I am going to set up an account for Aliene.  That way she can get ride of that annoying message from Apple that she “doesn’t have adequate storage for backup” or something like that.  I hate to think it but it seems like a gimmick so Apple can extort a few extra dollars, so I ignore the messages, knowing that I am going to take the pictures off of there.  (I back up her iPhone to iTunes).

I am sure I will make some major deletions to pictures.  I need to do with my pictures like I do with my clothes and books and just pick my favorites.

What will be nice is that Aliene can upload all of here family (and our) pictures to Flickr after she scans them, so they will be available to anyone in our families who want to look at them.  I’ll do the same for a bunch of photos my mother gave me, so they are preserved like she wanted them preserved.  

Going to be buying a refrigerator (the house we lease has the refrigerator in it, so we need to purchase one) and some other things, as the move unfolds.  


That’s it for now, hopefully a dry, sunny, Monday, May 25, 2015.

No comments: