Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Spring 2015 May 19 Tuesday (Happy Birthday Angela!)


66 degrees this morning,  46:07 minute walk

Happy Birthday to Angela!  I can’t believe how the time has passed since you were born!  Wishing you a Happy Birthday and a great Year!

Recently received some information on Acid Reflux or GERD medication.  I didn’t realize until I was an adult that I had “GERD” and it wasn’t normal to feel the reaction I did to some foods or so different times.  

I mentioned it to my Doctor who prescribed Prilosec (or something like that).  It worked well, but I realized it was covering up the symptoms, not curing the causes.  In all fairness, she did mention actions I should take to reduce the symptoms.  

About six years later I developed some skin problems, and found that the problems were caused by a reduced immune system, probably caused by Prilosec!  What was amazing is that this did not appear to be common knowledge at the time!

Anyway, I switched to a much older drug Tagamet, which worked just as well, although I also quit drinking carbonated pop  drinks, reduced high fat foods, lost weight and avoided GERD causing food.

The skin problems ended in a short time, problems I had had for the  six years I took the medicine.

I quit drinking Pepsi & Coke etc. I had my last Diet Pepsi in probably 8 years when I  drink a Pepsi to “celebrate” and went into a coughing fit!  

I actually tried to quit Prilosec without using the Tagamet, but I would cough after I ate certain foods (such as bacon etc.)

On the other hand, I remember as a child coughing a fit whenever I exercised in the cold.  The Doctor prescribed something that stopped it, and I don’t think there is anything I could have done to prevent it.  (Actually I found that wearing a covering over my mouth was effective.) 

Anyway, while medicine is used too much to “treat the symptoms, not the cause”, sometimes, like my “exercised induced asthma”, I think the use of medicine to treat the symptoms may be the only method.

Anyway, I”m going to read up on GERD again, I think there has been a lot of advancements in prevention in the past several years.

Developing into moving mode.  Said a permanent goodbye to many of my books and CD’s etc. yesterday as we donated them to the library.  (The Library, for whatever reason, will accept only 3 boxes of anything per day, since we had six boxes, we will need to return today!)

One thing I really dread is having to set up my internet connection etc. This time, since I use the internet on my job, I will need to have it up and running as soon as we move.  (For security reasons, I can’t use Wifi at McDonalds, Starbucks etc. on my work computer and the “air card” is excruciating slow.  

The “air card” is kind of like going back to the Internet as it was in 1995.  

I can remember Angela had a lot of patience with AOL as she waited out the slow speeds etc. to get on the internet.  


That’s it for now, Tuesday, May 19, 2015

No comments: