Thursday, May 07, 2015

Spring 2015 May 7 Thursday (Floods, Tornados and Wild Animals)


67 degrees this morning, 38;01 minutes walking 

Walked a little less this morning due to  lightning and the app saying there  was a “100%” chance of rain.  Since I walked and it wasn’t raining, the app was wrong again!  

Tornados, wind and rain were the rule last night in this area.  Fortunately, we were north of the major problem area but we hated to see the destruction, damage and stress the storms created.  

Areas of the city had  a record 9” of rain in three hours, which was “unprecedented “ according to the TV announcers.  (It didn’t rain that much where we live). The area had the first “flash flood” warning ever (other than localized areas).

The iPhone and computer “apps” are amazing, but the storms come anyway.  The TV weather  forecasters tools are amazing in their ability to follow the storms and point out the affected areas.

The storms have been coming in waves, basically seeming to hit an area,  and then another storm attacks the same area. 

To make matters worse, a tornado hit a animal sanctuary, so there are loose tigers, lions and similar animals roaming around.  

Obviously, they are advising everyone to stay inside in that area!    (The bears and tigers were actually quickly rounded up.)                                                                                                                                                           

We have a stream of events (first birthday of a great grandchild, Mothers Day, Aliene has a baby shower for a forthcoming grand baby) and, we will also be moving!  I expect we will be busy.

I also need to start making of list of books, clothing, CD’s etc. we will be donating to the Library or other charity.  

There are a few boxes (mainly books) stacked around and there will be many more to come!  Since we live only about 4 miles away, we can take many of the items when we have time.  Of course, first we need to get through with the closing, which is in the near future.  It will be nice we  still be able to use the same Doctors etc.  

It may take several more minutes to get there, but we will be closer to other areas, so I assume it equals out. 

After years of being active when storms came in (damage to city facilities, what to do about flooding etc.) it is a weird experience to be sitting here with just normal concern about the storms.  

For years I could do something about it, now I can’t do anything about it.  

In a way, it is a sense of freedom, in a way, a sense of loss.  On the other hand, that’s just the wheel of fortune of life and I happened to land where I am.  

There are a lot of times when something happens and my first reaction is to act, and then I realize it isn’t my job to act.  Again, a sense of  relief and loss together.

I think that is one reason I like my current job so much.  A large part of it is helping people, especially people who are trying to upgrade their lives.  I’m not always successful, but at least I can try.

Planned (and need to) go “in the field” today, depending on the weather.

That’s it for now, Thursday, May 7, 2015


No comments: