Sunday, May 10, 2015

Spring 2015 May 10 Sunday (Water from above, Water from below)



64 degrees this morning, 38:42 minute walk

Heavy rains again last night.  

During my walk this morning I noticed a major water leak about a block from my house.  Got my shoes and socks wet the water was so bad.

Of course when I called it in they asked if I was sure it wasn’t just rain water, it definitely wasn’t!

This is actually the 3rd major water leak I have called into this City.  (All in the middle of the night, or early morning, depending on you time frame.)

I quickly took my shower and shave etc., since you normally have to shut off the water to repair a water leak.  

Considering how developer friendly this city is, I figured there is a good chance the valves are placed too far apart and our water will be off when they start to repair the water main.

It is good you can’t “start” a water leak like you can “start” a fire, or they would probably start to wonder about me!   (If they keep track of such things.)

A water leak is has a strange sound, it can even sound like a high wind.  Where it comes out of the ground there are a series of bubbles etc.

During the time in Lakeland, the City didn’t supply water (which was a blessing), but every city  before that had water.  

Supplying water is a lot more complicated than it seems, especially keeping it supplied!  Water leaks, problems with water towers etc. are just as serious as shortages of the supply of water.  

Especially in my first the City where I was first City Manager, water lines were always breaking, problems with the water towers etc. were a continual concern.  It was small enough that it was difficult to find and keep trained personnel who were willing to come out at all ours of the day and night.

In the middle of the night in winter, the water leak repair can be a major discomfort!

One of the first water leaks I remember (this was my first job in Liberal, Kansas and I wasn’t directly associated water line repair) was a big line (I think a 12”, maybe more), blew out, blowing out bricks and spewing about 20’ in the air.

It was spectacular to say the least, as was the language of the City Manager when he saw it!

Actually, my first experience with a water leak was in a avery small town where I  graduated from high school.  

I worked for the City over the summers and part-time (very part-time) during the year.  The  Water Director (who probably did everything else also) was trying to find a leak and we dug up this property all over trying to find the leak.

This was my first (and certainly not the last) experience at someone threatening to get an attorney!

Actually, I found  the water line and leak by “water witching” the water line with some coat hangers.  I don’t know why it works, but it definitely works.  I could really feel the pull of the hangers!  

Wishing a Happy Mothers Day to all Moms today, or persons who have the role of Mother.   


That’s it for now, Sunday, May 10, 2015. 

No comments: