Thursday, April 23, 2015

Spring 2015 April 23 Thursday



57  degrees this morning, 45:05 minute walk.

This is the time of year which is almost worse than winter (but not).  There is that chill in the air (especially in the morning and evening) until almost mid-May, although there are wonderful days also.

The dispute with the birds continues.  Both the male and female are no2 present most of the time either together or separately.  Normally they hang out on the gutter in front of the house and glare at us, at night  I find them over the front door where the nest used to be. 

Of course I have to chase them out, or they will create a mess on the front porch.  

So far, they haven’t started building the nest yet, which is what I’m really trying to prevent.  

I am surprised the birds are so persistent.  At times, they start dive bombing the owl, other times they just sit on the gutter and glare at us.  (Obviously I am assuming their stares are meant to be glares.)

Our neighborhood is gathering (actually all the neighborhoods in this area) to try to stop, or at least get information on, a development that would be 178 “attached” houses on 28 acres, or about 6 house per acre not counting streets, open space (if any, who knows around here) and absolutely no improvements to the street systems to handle probably 300 more cars per day!

I wouldn’t doubt it a bit if the developer was allowed to build all the houses without any recreational areas (or public space) and no improvements to the streets!

That is what this city is like.  The number of apartments is simply amazing.  Nothing wrong with attached houses or apartments in the right place, with provision for recreation, traffic etc. but somehow this  city seems to forgot about the infrastructure and traffic part.  

They are looking at “rooftops” to get more commercial businesses since cities in this state depend on the local option sales tax.  

I think it is a matter of “balance”.  All of this is fine, but they need to balance development with infrastructure, provision for increased traffic etc. and not kissing the hand of the developers, builders and businesses and giving them everything they want and more and ignoring the current residents.  

Heavy rains yesterday morning, with some lightning.  Somehow I got my walk in yesterday morning without any rain.

I occasionally listen to a book I have read, or read a book I listened to, or both listen to and read a book at the same time.  

I am always amazed at how much I miss in one media that I catch in the other.  I have to wonder  how much I actually miss in daily reading and conversation.

I remember reading  how much we actually remember of what we read, listen to or see, and it is an extremely small part.  I don’t recall exactly, but it is less than 50% even in the short term and much less in the long term.

I believe it was a session on how “stories” (I believe they were called “parables” in the past)  help us remember key points.  

I usually find if I “use” something as soon as I learn it, I tend to remember it much longer.

In fact, generally I find I learn something much better if I have a use for it before I start to learn it.  For example, I learned Excel when I had to do a budget, I learn parts of Evernote I can use immediately etc.


That’s it for now, Thursday, April 23, 2015.

No comments: