Thursday, April 16, 2015

Spring 2015 April 16 Thursday



59 degrees this morning.  Walk 46:10 minutes

April 16, which means we are close to the year 2015 being 1/3 over.  Looking back the year is more or less of a blur.

That is why I like to “live in the present” in the sense that experience the present, whether it is positive or negative and just enjoy the experience of being alive.

Aliene is feeling better, this will be two weeks of the six weeks she probably has to wear the neck brace!  She had the operation two weeks ago.  

Right now, the indication is that we wish she had had the surgery years ago, it would have saved a lot of time and pain.  (Speaking for myself, which is easy when I”m not the one that has to have surgery! )

Went to the ballgame last night.  It was fun, although I”m not sure if it is a good idea for me to have access to “all you can eat” baseball food, such as hot dogs, hamburgers, chicken, cookies, M & M’s, Crackerjacks etc.  A little cool, but not bad.

Aliene lasted pretty good, she is recovering well and hopefully will soon be able to start regular walking and exercise again. 

I am finishing listening to the book about U.S. Grant.  I have to admit, my grasp (or knowledge) of history must have been rather light about this era.

Obviously his contribution to the Civil War and as President were well known, although I didn’t realize the extent of it until I read the book.  

What has been really interesting is what he did after he left the Presidency.  He was young (55 years old) and he took a “world tour”, an amazing tour (for what must have been for the times) of the world.

Of course, he toured as a successful General and President and was an exceedingly popular person.

He visited England, Germany, India, Burma, China, Japan, Thailand and numerous other countries, all as a visiting hero.

I listened to his advice to China on railroads (he emphasized he importance of railroads at the time for trade, economic development, defense etc.) and wondered if his advice is one reason China is so far advanced in the system of railroads etc.  

Of course, China  is a huge country and railroads make sense, as do a well developed air system.  

Anyway, for some reason, I had always thought Grant hadn’t done much after he left as President, but he was actually up for a 3rd term (in 1880) and was a major political figure.
Transitioning over to my new area.  I will enjoy the new area, while I also will miss the old area.  

Hopefully will be a nice day  today.  I am so ready for Spring and Summer weather!

That’s it for now, Thursday, April 16, 2015.




No comments: