Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Spring 2015 April 22 Wednesday (The Bird, Earth Day, Tamales and Denver "back then")


57 degrees this morning. 46:13 minute walk

Earth Day today.  Reminds me I want to get an “Urban Forestry” tag for our car.  The regular state tag is so ugly, I thought I would get one as soon as we got  our car tag, but I liked the number!  

Walked out this morning, noticed the “the bird” shivering by itself where the nest used to be.  (The bird and it’s mate were hanging around all day yesterday and dive bombing me).  Feeling a little hard-hearted, I rousted it out with my walking stick.

Wednesday already, and the work week is going to be on the down side tonight.  I never even used to really think of the days of the week.  I rarely went into the office on weekends, but I probably worked at least 8 hours over the weekend.  Now, at 4:00 p.m. Friday, I’m definitely off until Monday morning.  I’m still not real used to that.

Speaking of how small things can change your life, I don’t know for sure why I went to Denver to work over the summer when I was a Freshman in college, but I’m sure it changed my life.  

I worked at Samsonite luggage in the factory.  The first summer I made the small over-night cases, I worked the start of  the factory line.  It was a definitely new experience for me, as was living in a city the size of Denver.  

Strange coincidences, I moved to an apartment next door to my high school principal!  I tool the bus and walked every place i went since I didn’t have a car.

A completely different experience for someone who grew up on a farm and lived in very small towns all his life!

I like to say my grades substantially after a summer of working in a factory (they did).  Nothing wrong with the work, but I didn’t want to spend my life doing that.  Actually, there were some extremely nice people there.

The second summer at Samsonite wasn’t quite as much fun.  I went out with some other guys and it just wasn’t the same.  Also, my job in the factory was punching a button and watching rubber grow cold, which was boriiiing!  

Anyway, my horizon was greatly expanded by my experiences, including spending a night in the bus station and one time in the downtown Denver park when I missed the bus.

It also gave me a lifelong liking for Tamales. The first summer they had these wonderful steamed tamales on street corners for, I believe a quarter.  The second summer, they were gone, but I always try tamales, hoping to find some of those wonderful street corner tamales. I have had some good tamales, but not like the ones that first summer in Denver!

I go back to Denver now, everything has changed and I don’t recognize anything, except maybe the mountains and the state capital.  

But any city is that way.  Even the farm I  grew up on is different, with most of the buildings gone, and it always looks smaller than I remember it.  

The roads are still muddy, not even graveled yet!  Of course the “new” Highway 75 I remember is now the “old” 75, although it hasn’t been replaced yet.

when I lived there in the summers of college there was no smog.  When I returned about 5 years  later (I was stationed there for school in the Air Force), there was a haze of smog in the air.  At least, that is the way I  remember it.

Aliene is doing find and progressing well.  Tomorrow (Thursday) she will have three weeks left in the neck brace, assuming everything goes well.  

We will probably soon know if our loan has been approved, although we don’t for see any  real problems other than our ages, and of course that can be quite a barrier, I have found.


That’s it for now, Wednesday, April 22, 2015

No comments: