Saturday, April 18, 2015

Spring 2015 April 18 Saturday


63 degrees this morning. 46:31 minutes walking.

Actually the walking time this morning is an estimate, somehow I forgot to stop the stop watch when I finished the walk until I was in the house.  

The stopwatch has truly been amazing.  I can trace it back to at least ten years ago (I use it when I swim also) and a watch that, if I remember right cost $2.00 is still running on the same battery ten years later and probably  more. 

Of course, it is just one of those plastic, velcro band watches that are “disposable” and when the battery wears out you  just throw it away.  I never thought I would have it this long!  

Actually I just looked at it and it looks like it may have a battery that can be replaced, a size 2025.  

More on the birds.  I noted “evidence” today that the birds  had gathered so to speak.  We will see what happens.  

We have a wind chime we put out that seems to keep them away, but it has a tendency (in this windy area) to drive us nuts also.  Actually, they don’t affect us much, we don’t want to bother our neighbors and they aren’t the type to complain.

I had a full day in my new area yesterday.  I enjoyed it.  There is a lot more to keep busy and a lot less driving.  It is ever more diverse than my previous area, which keeps it interesting.  

The day started off with rain, but it quickly changed to a very nice day.

The local paper will shortly publish an attempt by a reporter to walk down a major street throughout the city.  It will detail the lack (or availability of) trails and sidewalks.

In my opinion, the planning in this city is atrocious.  I see brand new gas stations with two entry points within 20’ of the intersection, numerous commercial buildings built without any concern for turn lanes.

In one case a large commercial store was built right next to a new subdivision!  I really wander if the neighbors knew what was coming when they bought their houses (which now I’m sure they can’t sell) them.  

And of course, subdivisions are still being built without any parks or sidewalks/bike/ped trails!  It almost is like the planning division here caught caught in the sixties (as in 1960) and never progressed.

I really think the problem is the city administration is so ingrown hey don’t consider any new ideas and they tend to develop “relationships” with developers and builders rather than the residents.  

The developments certainly does not appear to include any concern for residents.

The lack of even 1980’s recycling procedures and techniques (much less 2015) techniques and procedures really indicates this.

It is offset by some good activities and policies also, but I think the lack of good planning will negatively affect the city for years.


That’s it for now, Saturday, April 18, 2015.

No comments: