Saturday, February 28, 2015

Winter 2015 February 28 Saturday (Winter Weekends, Telescopes and News Stories)



19 Degrees this morning.

Thin covering of snow and ice so no walk.

End of February, means 2015 is 17% gone if I am figuring it right.  

Probably will be snow and ice over the weekend.  We aren’t planning n going any place!  Also, Aliene still isn’t feeling good, although I think she is feeling better.

I am glad there aren’t many days left in this Winter (roughly, about  21).  It hasn’t been that bad of a winter, but it has been a long winter.   the cold weather has seemed especially cold and nasty this year.

Probably just not used to this kind of  cold.

Of course, our winter hasn't been near as bad as other  places.  We have it really easy compared to other areas, although they are used to the winter weather.  I expect being “used to it” gets tiresome.  

Part of my “in the field” was near where we live last week.  I really haven’t driven around around here that much and I was surprised at the number of houses being built in this area.

We are still looking at options as far as buying a house (or staying here is also an option).  So far, we haven’t found a house that we would want to commit to purchase.  

I am trying to view all of the “stuff” I have with new eyes, primarily thinking of what I have been carting around for years and never looked at, and I have to wonder, who would be interested in it?  I may as well donate it (or throw it away as appropriate) now as have to cart it around any more or worry about storing it!  

Probably a primary example is a telescope I have been carting around for at least 30 years, no make that 40 years.  I am looking at the box right now, and I am not even sure if i have ever taken out of the box.  Actually I’m sure I have, but I have never used it.  I probably got it when there was a comet or something and I really thought I would sometime be interested in looking at the stars.

In theory, I like the idea, but i know I will never do it unless I just do it to be doing it.  However looking at the box, it is a Bushnell “sport view” with 9 -30 power zoom, so maybe it isn’t even for looking at the stars.   It even has it’s own tripod and I did’t know that

I think the “toothbrush test” would say to get rid of it!  I don’t use it and it really has no value to me.

Other examples are old newspapers etc. 

Actually, there is a news clipping that I’m glad my Dad saved.  It is a story (probably when  he was in the last 20’s) about how fast he walked and how he walked so fast his coat was always flowing.  It was written by the local newspaper and my Dad saved it.  I’m glad he did, that is something that is unique and says a lot about him.

I have some newspapers that have some stories, but aren’t really deep insights into anything.  

I always thought (when I first started working for cities) that I would keep a scrapbook of stories.  I’m actually glad i didn’t, it would just be a pain to deal with and I know now I would never look at it.  

Perhaps if the internet had existed when I started, I would have started a digital file someplace, but in the end, who would have time to look at it? And who would really care?  

I don’t mean anything negative about it, it i just a fact of life.  Things are unique to us individually, and sometimes perhaps they are meant to stay that way.

Such are my thoughts on a snowy weekend.

One dream I remember, (again after my nap after my walk on Friday morning), I was in a hotel, with many rooms.  I was trying to find a cup of coffee.  Many of the rooms were locked, some with elaborate locks, others were wide open.  All I could find were the little packets of coffee that looked like the tea packets you get in hotels.  It was dark and I didn’t recognize anyone else. There appeared to be no point to the dream, which may be the point.


That’s it for now, Saturday, February 28, 2015.

No comments: