Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Winter 2015 February 11, Wednesday


45 degrees this morning. 45:35 minutes walking

Working through my “reading list” on Evernote, which includes books I’ve noted I might want to read for the past five years (or more).

I try to review the books and then get them from the Library.  Thus far, I am reading about 1 of 4 books.  There is no magic number I plan on reading.  Almost all of them look interesting, it is just the matter of how much time to I really have to read and I’m setting priorities.  

So far I have WANTED to read all of them, it is a matter of which ones I want to spend the time reading.  

In a way, it is kind of like sorting through books to “weed” to donate etc., except it is the reverse and I am “weeding” the books I am actually going to read.  

The Library Book Sale is next weekend.  I will go, but more for the atmosphere than the books.  There may be a book or two I will buy, but if I don’t buy anything I won’t be disappointed.  They literally have thousands of books and magazines etc.  Sometimes I find some interesting magazines, one year I found a bunch of magazines on the Civil War, so they never really become “old news”. 

I used to volunteer for the Library Book Sale, I didn’t this year.  i am still setting priorities for my time, if that makes any sense.  

I don’t want to get committed to something and then feel hemmed in on my time.  I really want to keep my time open so I can do consulting or writing work.  The fact that I can’t work over 40 hours per week in my job allows me quite a bit of time more than I used to have.  Although I am busy now, I  would like to orient some of my time into using some of my skills, if I can.  

On the other hand, sometimes I resent having my time committed so there I go!  I enjoy going to Toastmasters, but I feel the loss of one night a week, probably a holdover from the times when it was normal for me to have two to three meetings a week, so free evenings were valuable.

Time will tell, I am still learning of possible resources etc. 

I guess it is good that I still occasionally think about what I am going to do ‘when I grow up” rather than concentrating on how I am going to use my time and feeling bored.

I still have a lot of things I have to do, setting up computer equipment etc. , still sorting stuff to donate  etc.

Of course, soon, I will be concentrating on the completing my income tax returns.  As I have mentioned before, it will be an especially difficult year, with two states, some retirement plan conversions, moving expenses, job hunting expenses, car expenses etc.  Fun, fun, fun!

I am listening to the “Edge of Eternity” , the 3rd book about the time from 1900 to 1999 (I never an remember if it is the 20th Century or 21st Century, I think it is the 20th).  Anyway he is up to the Civil Rights movement.  

i never realized until it said it in the book that “Blowing in the Wind” is a protest song about the Civiil  Rights movement. I guess it fits, but I had always taken a broader view of what it meant, but that is the beauty of music. 

Planning on an office day today, hope I can get caught up.


That’s  it for now, Wednesday, February 11, 2014.

No comments: