Saturday, February 21, 2015

Saturday, February 21, 2015 Saturday (Books Books and Books!)



39 degrees this morning,45.22 minutes walk

Library book sale last night was fun.  I did end up buying several books, but I will also try to weed an equal number (or more) books.

The crowd was large, many having all kinds of ways to store their books, including wagons, trash cans and suitcases!  

I enjoyed seeing so many books, book lovers and the fact that people of all ages were enjoying purchasing physical books.  Nothing against “e=books”, they have their place also.  

While I was tempted by many books, the thought of the books yet to be read (many such books) restrained me a lot!

The phrase “So many books, so little time” illustrates how I feel about it.

I am especially susceptible to historical books (which technically never become obsolete, although I have noted how history is interpreted and re-interpreted as the years go by and “summaries” like “Cliffs Notes” etc.

I used to like “self help” books, but I rarely read them anymore.  Perhaps I have accept the idea that I am beyond help, or maybe that many of the self-help books are basically the same-old, same-old, re-packaged to sell.  

I think there is a certain age where “self help” books are important (or maybe certain stages of life) and otherwise they aren’t that important. 

I think the amount of knowledge contained the the books is amazing.  The book sale included lots of fiction, lots of non-fiction, records, audio books, magazines, even comic books!  

I think books are about like music, you never know where it will take you or what memories you will have.  

Today I heard the song “Walking in Memphis” and it reminded me of the good points of the Memphis area.

Going to look at some houses today.  I think there s always be the anticipation that “This may be the house”  (I guess just like “this will be the job” etc.)   

Going to a “Writers Club” meeting this morning.  They are discussing self publishing, which is the reason I am going.  I don’t really consider myself a “writer”, although I enjoy writing.  I  actually did write a short story once (and got “Honorable Mention in a contest), but I didn’t really enjoy writing fiction.  I do enjoy writing just as part of the job etc.

In a lot of ways, I feel writing is about like a song or music.  It just flows out of you and develops a rhyme and melody of it’s own and once it starts it is just like communicating with the keyboard.  I think computers (where you can see the words magically appear on the screen) have even made it more enjoyable and rewarding.  

The one problem I have found about word processing is it seems I miss more errors, or maybe spellcheck does it and I don’t catch the changes in meaning or spelling.  

The book I am listening to (Edge of Eternity) is now at around 1968.  I really don’t know if the book will make it to 1999.  

That’s it for now, Saturday, February 21, 2015.







No comments: