Sunday, February 01, 2015

Winter 2015 February 1 Sunday



46 degrees this morning 45:44 minutes walking

Thought it would be raining this morning, so it was nice to be able to walk!

Working on taxes.  With the number of different income sources, work expenses, moving expenses, job hunting expenses, home office expenses  etc., this promises to be the toughest tax preparation yet for years.

I also am learning the importance of making sure adequate taxes are withheld from everything!  I strongly recommend to anyone with a self retirement to open and fully fund a Roth retirement account  before funding anything else (unless “free money” is involved from your employer).  (A Roth retirement is funded by “pre-tax” income, but is tax free when you receive it.)

Ron & Vicki headed back to Cleveland today, ahead of the storm.  We had a very enjoyable visit and know they enjoyed their visit.

My “district” has a new Council Member this year, since the present one is retiring.  I plan on watching closely and discussing with them my feelings about the inadequate recycling program, the lack of trails and turn lanes and the overall horrible lack of planning in this city.  

Don’t know if it will do any good, but all I can do is tell them how I feel and point out the areas I am talking about.  I’m all for new business, but when business takes priority over residents, I think it needs to be discussed.

Of course there are always trade-offs.  The County has a wonderful library system which means a lot.  They also are developing various parts of the city (just for business, of course) and hopefully they will start realizing that people have to live here also.

After doing my taxes, I see the a good reason (tax wide) for buying a house, although there are other reasons both for and against.  Doesn’t mean we will, but it does mean we will research it more seriously than we probably were really thinking about.  

It would be nice to live (and own a house) in a city where “livability”   and sustainability is a priority, in addition to  business development.  Seems to work for the city next to us, they take care of the residents and the businesses come.  Good businesses too, like the ones all cities are trying to attract.

Rain almost all day today (it must have started after my walk yesterday morning.).  Yesterday  I understand it is supposed to rain most of the day today, but now the forecast is for no rain.

Frankly I will be glad when the super bowl is over.  I am tried of hearing of it, tired of hearing about the ads etc.  While many of the ads are cute and good, many are just crude, inane and not funny.  Still good to watch them, but I don’t care to talk about them all the time, especially two weeks etc.  I could actually care less about the game itself, at least talking or reading about it.  

I have found I had a lot more time on my “USA Today” iPad reading at breakfast, since it was almost all super bowl stuff or “celebrity” news that I didn’t brother  to read.

Kind of like videos, I don’t watch videos (primarily because of time, but also because I don’t have the patience to watch them.)  I feel like they try to “trick” you into downloading a video, I assume they get paid if they can show a “click” regardless whether you watch it or not..
Nothing against it, but I have to really wonder who all watches that many videos.  Who has the time to watch a lot of them?  Or who wants to spend the time?  On the other hand, maybe I’m missing something , but it boils down to the fact that I will never watch many videos since I can’t really pay attention to most of them!  

That seems kind of funny when one of my pastimes is having music videos on (not necessarily watching all the time, but while I am reading the papers) during my early morning “hypertime”.


That’s it for now, Sunday, February 1, 2015.

No comments: