Thursday, February 05, 2015

Winter 2015 February 5 Thursday (Musings on the Past Year)



29 Degrees (10 degrees windchillI) this morning,45:34 minutes walking

Cold and the wind came in yesterday afternoon.  

When I first started keeping a journal on a regular basis (it actually goes back to 1987), my original thought was that as the years went by, I would review the journal and see how my life had changed over time and I would learn from my past mistakes and successes.

While keeping a journal (now perhaps a blog) has had a lot of rewards I have never sat down and read a past journal.

Actually, the “calendar” is perhaps more valuable in that I can check on where I was on a certain date. 

One year ago today, I was in -14 degrees weather and I had just eaten some meat loaf.  

At the time I wrote that a year ago, I didn’t realize that in about three hours I would wake up extremely sick and (forgive my comments, but they are best description) puking everything I had eaten for the past week.  It continued for a day, I slept more than I had slept for a long time. 

As I mentioned yesterday, I was too sick to go see my cousin and sister, something I was looking forward too.

The 85 degree temperature three days later felt so good, but just feeling well make my life a lot happier.  

I never realize how good I feel until I feel bad, or sick like I was.  

Early February was also the start of our commitment to go on the trip to China.

Oddly enough, the trip to China reinforced my commitment to municipal government and the importance of a city for it’s residents, yet I haven’t worked for a city  since.

I think I also realized that when fools and incompetents are elected, that time will pass and committed residents will eventually return someone with common sense.

Back to February 5, while we were disappointed after the trip, looking back, I don’t believe the it could have turned out any better (except maybe without us getting sick!).   

Actually, as far as  my journal/blogs, my first journal was actually a journal of my feelings and did not include much as far as events. Several years later I actually started keeping a separate calendar of what happened that day.  

I actually still keep a separate calendar of where I went, what i ate every day, but I also have more of a calendar with my journal. 


I remember as time went on, I was surprised to discover that some events I couldn’t remember which YEAR something happened, much less the month and the day.  (At least I can still usually remember the “decade”! )  

The ability to go back and look (especially the years since I started keeping everything on the computer) is much more effective if I do want to check on something.

It has been a strange period since November of 2014.  It is hard to explain the changes, or the lack of changes.  

I did learn It is a lot easier to be the one to make the changes than to be the one impacted by the changes.

That’s it for now, 4:36 a.m. Thursday, February 5, 2015.
  



No comments: