Friday, February 06, 2015

Winter 2015 February 6 Friday



30 Degrees this morning 45:09 minute walk

A friend of mine recently noted tha he didn’t know what to  do with some antiques he had since there wasn’t aa market anymore since older people didn’t have room for them and younger  people weren’t interested in antiques. 

In a way, ti makes sense.   There are many reasons  persons wouldn’t want “stuff” around that just takes up room and requires maintenance.  

Certainly I would no want any more “antiques”  unless they met a specific need.  Of course, I am still in the “disposal” mode and am more interested getting ride of stuff I don’t want.  

Many people are not in the stage of life where they would appreciate or want “antiques” around.  

With electronics (computers, etc.) having a new upgrade at least once a year, I think it tends to lessen the appreciation for antiques, for good or bad.  Certainly progress is good, but it is also good to appreciate the contributions of the past.

Also, as I have mentioned in the past, when your computer or even cell phone can substitute for your library, music collection etc., it changes your thought process. I expect it would certainly change the thought processes of someone has never known a life without computers and cell phones.  

I have to admit his observation (that no one wants antiques anymore), surprised me but I’m not surprised when I think of it.

I remember reading how Steve Jobs maintained a minimalist life style, just like the design of Apple computers. 

Perhaps the “minimalist” concept has become a life style of many people (although not to the degree of Steve Jobs who if I remember correctly, didn’t even have furniture in his house for years and ordered the black shirts he wore by the dozens so he wouldn’t have to worry about what to wear.  

Other signs, recently my daughter said she was tired of “stuff” and I read where clutter was one of the major problems with a house when you sell a house.

On the other hand, I read where the size of houses has increased significantly over the past 20 years, the average house has increased 1,000 square feet in size and and the living space for each person has doubled, and I have seen figures of even higher estimates.  

To put this in perspective, my I doubt if I lived in a house more than 1,000 square feet until about 18 years ago. 

Certainly the concept of the bathrooms needed went from literally “no bathrooms” to the point that three bathrooms (or at least two 1/2) are absolutely minimum, with a double “Jack and Jill” sink in the master bathroom! 

It seems that the increase in size would increase the demand for “antiques”, but perhaps it is a style which is no longer desired.  

I really haven’t paid any attention to the “antiques” market, or “collectibles”, but I’ll keep my eyes open for news about it.  I hadn’t thought about there being no market for antiques anymore, but just recent comments I remember being made in the past few years makes me think it may be true.


That’s it for now, Friday, February 6, 2015.

No comments: