Monday, February 23, 2015

Winter 2015 February 23 Monday (Snow, Sunsets, China and Siri)



22  degrees (8 wind chill) this morning. No walk, wind plus some  snow/sleet.  It has accumulated where it could be slick in places. 

I was pleased this morning to note that Daylight Savings Time will start March 8!  Daylight Savings Time means it is getting closer to Spring!  

It will be interesting to see the “long sunsets” again and the long evenings.  It got dark an hour earlier in Memphis then it does here so we will enjoy the longer daylight evenings, although I will miss the early sunrises on the other side!

We couldn’t see the sunsets in Lakeland because of the trees and terrain, so it wasn’t the early sunset, it was the fact we couldn’t see it regardless of the time.

The weather has worsened here, to some degree.  There is snow about 45 miles north of us yesterday that created a lot of icy roads,  but we haven’t gotten any except for some light snow early yesterday morning.  There may be some snow and/or sleet today.

I was trying to read the Cliff’s notes version summary  of Paradise Lost and finally gave up.  Some things aren’t meant to be read or understood, at least by me!  I can understand what he is saying, I’m just not sure why.  Anyway, last night I gave up and am starting on another summery for my “15 minutes” per day I read something I probably wouldn’t read otherwise.  

I have been reading fairly extensively on China, so I can understand how China of 1929 became the Chine of 2015.  It has been interesting to read about.  I can’t say I understand yet, but I am beginning to get some ideas of how it happened.  

I read an amazing statistic, if true last night:  In 1949, the average life expectancy in China was 36 years old and the literacy rate was 20%.  In 2012, life expectancy was 76 years old and the literacy rate was above 90%!!!!  That is truly amazing even allowing for exaggeration  or errors. 

Of course, the costs were also astonishing.  

The book I am reading mentioned the same word I hear in the US “Crony Capitalism” .  It notes that corruption is one of the major problems in China, just as it is in the United States.  It may take a little different form, but….

On the other hand, some types of “Crony Capitalism” in the United States are rewarded, not punished. 

Working on learning my computer programs etc.  I am looking at more effective ways I can use Siri besides “What Flights are above”   or asking him about the weather.  

Actually, I have him doing a lot more than that, such things as taking notes, making calendar appointments and texting etc., but I’m still not using him to the maximum advantage.

I especially like the “Hey Siri” arrangement, although he has to be plugged in for it to work.  

(I refer to Siri as “him” since I use the male voice, for whatever reason.)

I was surprised to discover that my MacBook can take advantage of many of the characteristics of Siri, dictation etc.

I am still working on Evernote.  Either I am not getting it, don’t need it, or a lot of wool is being pulled over eyes about this program.  

Actually, I get a lot out of it, but I have this sneaking suspicion that I’m only using about 10% of it’s capacity and not very well at that!  I”ll keep on it.

Catching up on Friday, so today will be an office day.  May be a good day for it considering the weather


That’s it for now, Monday, February 23, 2015. 

No comments: