Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Winter 2015 February 17 2015 Tuesday



25 degrees this morning, no walk (snow/ice)

Didn’t walk again this morning, the ice melted and refroze last night and I figure it isn’t worth the chance of slipping someplace on some ice  that may have redeveloped.  

Since we didn’t have to go anywhere yesterday, we didn’t, since the roads were icy most of the day.  It was a holiday anyway, so it was one of those strange days where you stay in the house all day.

I don’t necessarily like or dislike such days, but there are a welcome relief sometimes. 

Yesterday, the paper carrier for some strange reason, threw my paper on the other side of the road from my house (or more logically, it blew of slid over there), so I set here all day and looked at it until it thawed enough this afternoon for me to walk across and get it.  Actually in good shape.

In theory I can read it on the internet, but “e-news” has become so full of “promoted” news, it is almost impossible to read, at least the major local paper.  

It seems they are shooting themselves in the foot, but I guess all they can look at is how many ads they can sell.

I remember when I was a kid, the local papers would carry ads that were obviously basically and obviously fraud come-ons (selling at home etc.), and I always thought they should be investigating them rather than running ads for them.

That are the type of ads they run, you learn fast not to click on them, since they are misleading and frequently are merely ads  for snake oil type products disguised as news.  

I am sure if it had not been a holiday, it would have been a “snow day”, although, since my office is in my house perhaps it is logically that I can’t get a “snow day” as such.  That is ok, I’ll take no snow days and working from my house anytime!

It seemed to warm up and melt yesterday afternoon, but started to freeze again early last night.  

Hopefully, Winter is having it’s last gasp and it will be an early Spring and Summer.  I am ready.

I am back to habits I had years ago, reading 3 and 4 books at the same time (well. I read a chapter or two of one, then go to the other etc.).  It is the “library mode”, so I can finish the library books within the allotted time.  

I  finished Kevin Powers “The Yellow Birds” yesterday, and am reading Evan Osnos, “Age of Ambition, Chasing Fortune, Truth, & Faith in the New China, and Sarah Poter, “How You Can Trade Like a Pro”.  I’m starting H.W. Brands, “Ulysses Grant, the Man Who Saved the Union”, which I may or may not finish due to it’s size.  

Looking forward to a couple of books on fiction (one historical fiction) as soon as they come into the Library.

As I have probably mentioned, the Library here is wonderful, I can put a “hold” on books and recheck them by the internet.  

Back to work today, probably will be an “office day”, not necessarily because of the weather, but because of what I have to do.

Hopefully it will warm up today and the ice and snow will go away.


That’s it for now, Tuesday, February 17, 2015

No comments: