Saturday, February 14, 2015

Winter 2015 February 14 Saturday ("Our (City) Standards are Lower")


33 degrees this morning, walk 45:31 minutes

Valentines Day and a three day weekend with (hopefully) nice weather!  Couldn’t ask for a better combination. 

`Many times I have complained about the City we currently live in having low planning standards and a lack fo concern for qualify of life for residents.  

You can see it in a lack of connectivity, low traffic standards (not requiring turn lanes etc.), and allow a multitude of signs, not requiring sidewalks and just cheap, crappy development making it an inferior place to live.

I think the City has a very poor record of being open to new ideas, it is just a small closed group making all the decisions.

Even a business writer for the local paper comments (in response to a question on why the architecture and landscaping is so horrible in this city that:

“I think that answer lies in what our local municipalities (suburbs higher standards) will approve to have built in their communities.  That goes for landscaping and those terrible pole signs you see everywhere on busy streets too.  Our standards are lower”.

As I have noticed before, it is very obvious, the city we live in and the city next to us.  You cross the boundary and you can literally see and feel the difference.  Poor planning, poor construction, allowing anything to go as long as it is a business without regard to how it lowers the quality of living here is very evident.  

It is further evident by a very obsolete recycling system, no planning of pedestrian/bike trails, all planning with obsolete standards.  

Like a lot of other people, we are eventually going to vote with our feet and move to a city that cares more about residents than catering to developers who want to build crap and move on.

We do have a funeral today, one of Aliene’s cousins.  We had a gathering last night, which was nice, except for the reason and the services are today.  

Experiences such as this remind me how important it is to value daily experiences and don’t put off experiences or getting together with friends and family, if that is what is important.  

I know from experience how easy it is to get caught up in daily life, when daily activities become so important that you lose sight of the important things, or at least events or activities you don’t want to miss.

That is one thing I really value about my current job (although it may sound odd) is that I can’t work more than 40 hours per week, so I’m not even tempted and I can use my off-time for other activities. 

I am beginning to wonder what I will do after I finish my current “walking book”.  I have been listening to the series so long, I probably feel like it is a part of my life!  When I finish it will have been over 100 hours of listening (actually about 110).  Considering that I listen about 50 minutes per day, that is about 120 days of listening or 4 months.

Put another way, it is 2 1/2, almost 3 “work weeks” of solid listening. 

Actually, I’m sure I will find something else, my walk gives me the chance to experiment.  

One thank about the series, it is not boring.  While I realize the characters aren’t really historical, many of the events are actual events, which is interesting.  


That’s it for now, Saturday, February 14, 2015.

No comments: