Thursday, February 26, 2015

Winter 2015 February 26 Thursday


28 degrees this morning, 44:34 minutes walking

A wonderful day yesterday, and of course the weather person said this was the “highest” we would have for some time!

More snow and ice, possibly rain this weekend. I am really ready for Spring!

Work day today was different since I was in a new area today.

Looking at putting together some sort of framework for learning the computer programs in a more structured way.   I feel like I pick up some here and there, but I don’t use the programs to their maximum effect.  Of course, it isn’t quite as important now.

I especially want to get going on the photos, both taking photos of items I am going to donate as well as sorting through the photos I have now.  

Aliene wants to scan a bunch of her photos, although she can follow the structure she has her photos in now.  

I have made some progress on my China photos, but not as good as I would like, plus I have a lot of other photos I need to organize.  

An example of “accidental learning” (or perhaps “incidental” learning is I was reading up on Siri and suddenly learned how to dictate into my MacBook!  (Siri isn’t even available on the MacBook Air).

One thing that was really valuable was the “1 to 1” program Apple has.  I can actually get a “1 to 1” (individual session) on almost anything with an expert.  The problem is I need to buy another computer before I can get back into the program.

I don’t want to buy a “MacBook Air” yet because I think Apple is coming out with a major upgrade for it and I don’t want to buy one until the upgrade is here.  I have been burned once too many times purchasing something right before an upgrade which is something I really don’t like about the way Apple operates.  

The very first Apple Computer I bought, about two months later they came out with a different chip which basically made the computer I purchased obsolete, although it was an excellent computer for me and I still have it. After that, I check before I buy any Apple product to see what the rumors are.

I learned a lot from the 1 to 1 program.  Frankly, the Memphis Apple store is a lot better than the one we have here, but I figure I can make it work. Somehow the Memphis staff just seemed more dedicated, although they are ok here.

I could buy a “mini” Mac, which isn’t that expensive and enroll in the program immediately.  It may be worth it.

I think at least the “1 to 1” instruction helped since I learned each program in a “step” fashion, or I could learn just a part I was working on.  Also, it made me do my homework on learning a program and, best of all, if I got frustrated at not being able to complete something or quite understand what I as doing wrong, I knew I could get help soon!

Of course, that doesn’t help with the Evernote program, somehow the Evernote program just doesn’t always come together.  (Since Apple doesn’t sell it, they don’t provide instruction in it, which makes sense.

Not looking forward to the bad weather to come this weekend, although at least I know the the cold weather is limited now since Spring will soon be here!  I believe the latest snow I remember was early April and that was gone soon.


That’s it for now, Thursday, February 26, 2015

No comments: