Wednesday, January 08, 2014

Winter 2014 January 8, Wednesday

23 degrees this morning.  Good to get back to regular exercise etc.
Two product evaluations that I feel deserve negative comments:
-Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover for the iPad Air is not good.  First, it doesn't say you can use it only in one position.  I was ready to forgive that until the magnet failed and I almost dropped my iPad Air.  Back to Apple for a refund!   It is as bad as the Apple "Smart" cover where the magnet also never held, ln that case I dropped and cracked the iPad.  Apple kindly charged me $300 to fix that (actually I got a reconditioned one).  I don't think they have perfected the magnet technology yet.  I know, many people love it.  I'm just advising of my experience, it is a no go and is going  back for a refund.  I don't know who gives it all the "5 star' reviews.  
-Performance bike equipment.  I bought (at a relative expensive price) some biking jackets.  The material is great, it is warm in winter (I wear it in 16 degree weather) and in summer (I wear it up to 75 degrees or so).  However, I have four worthless jackets, because the zipper fails, almost as soon as I bought it.  I had the zipper replaced and it failed again, so I am going to go somewhere with a decent return policy and buy one!  I blocked Performance from my e-mail and throw away their catalogs without looking at them.  In my opinion, they sell junk.
On a more positive note, I am still listening (or listening again) to the "Willpower Instinct" on my morning walk.  They made a point this morning about the "future self" being seen as more flexible, having more time, and more willpower than the "present self".  Of course that makes sense.  Actually being able to think that way is different.  You always think you will have more time, money and feel more relaxed in the future and than the future suddenly gets here and it is just like the present!  (Or something like that).)
I was surprised what studies have found is the primary aspect of willpower-what you think everyone else is doing!  For example, they did a study on recycling, energy conservation etc. and, regardless of their views on this, the primary factor was what they thought everyone else was doing.  On utility bills, people who see they use less than average electricity, start using more electricity etc!  Rather surprising (and perhaps discouraging) if true!
Back to iPad covers, the last good one I had was a "fitted" keyboard cover and the iPad just fitted into the keyboard cover.  I'll have to look for one of those for my iPad or just go bare, except I do like having a keyboard and I don't like the thick cases around.  Why have a thin iPad and then buy a thick cover?  (I guess you can that about a lot of things!)

No comments: