Monday, January 20, 2014

Winter 2014 January 20 Monday

Bryant, Arkansas, 34 degrees, 39 degrees in Memphis.  Overall great day weather wise.  Good drive in to Lakeland.
Picked up bike, (general maintenance and checkup), be good to get on the bike again.  I hope to start building up my stamina so I can start riding in some longer rides and eventually my "ride with the summer".  May even try it this year.  
Aliene's mother passed 3 years ago on this date.  It was really sad, she was flying back to see her before she died and she was called on the plane, just after she fell (didn't hurt herself).  Although she knew her mother's time had come, she wanted to be there just in case her mother knew she was there and it could help her in the transition.  
Decisions are looming.  So far, I have been able to allow my future to be guided by events, soon, I am going to have to guide the events, depending on what happens in the next 40 days.  I expect to hear tonight or tomorrow about the Texas project, if I will be considered for it or not.  
I take naps throughout the day, normally one when after breakfast before I go to work and one after work, occasionally one at noon.  These are short "power" naps.  They really help keep me alert and I enjoy them.  I take about a nap every two hours when I am driving.  Not a long nap, normally five minutes or so.  It really refreshes me and I actually enjoy the sound of the traffic going by as I drift off for my break.I don't know if I will need to take cat naps when I ride my bikes on longer rides etc.
Started listening to Doris Kearns Goodwin's "The Bully Pulpit".  It is a good book, I am also going to read it.  It is interesting to read and listen to a book in the same time frame (as I am doing now with "Get Rich Slowly" by Jim Cramer.    I saw Doris Kearns Goodwin speak at a conference once (in Pittsburgh) and then she sat down right next to us at the airport.  We just told her we had enjoyed her speech and she was very nice.  (I should have gotten all of my books by her autographed!)  
I have thought about riding my bike on a longer ride, maybe the "Ride across Tennessee" or the "FreeWheel Oklahoma".  It would be good practice for my "Ride with the Summer".  

No comments: