Thursday, January 23, 2014

Winter 2014 January 23 Thursday

28 degrees this morning.  The winter continues.
The "Fitbit Force" is an amazing device, with a few limitations.  For example, it doesn't recognize my bike riding at all (I knew this before I purchased it), and I still need to figure out how to relate it to 'My Fitness Pal". etc.  I just need to take the time to do it.
Some time ago, I read a book (I believe by Scott Peck).  In a way the book was disappointing as compared to his earlier books, but he said something about time that really grabbed my attention and to some degree has significantly changed my behavior. He mentioned about fixing something on his car and mentioned that that he could figure out anything, "if he chose to take the time to do it, but he didn't feel that was the best use of his time". 
After reading this, I kind of forgave myself for my complete lack of technical skill, something I have always admired in other people.  It just takes me too much time to figure out how to fix something, it just isn't a good use of my time.  I did figure out some technical things, and was satisfied I COULD do it, but the time involved was substantial.  I happily chose to use my skills in the areas I am good at so I could hire a skilled person to do the items I had difficulty doing.  It has actually worked out well, the major problem is finding people who are good at the tasks and available .  I always say if I was a good handy person (home repairs etc.), I could make a million dollars just by showing up and billing reasonably, but then I don't have the skills and I"m sure running your own business has a lot of billing and collection problems I'm not familiar with

No comments: