Friday, January 10, 2014

Winter 2014 January 10 Friday

46  degrees this morning.  Seemed cooler than that.  Walked, but drove to ATC rather than biked since streets were still wet.
 I am always surprised at who the minor events in life are so important.  This morning my newspaper delivery was late (but came right as I was leaving for the the gym), but, more important, the carrier accidentally gave m a USA Today instead of the Wall Street Journal.  While I am on the stationary bike, I normally read the Memphis Commerical Appeal, then the Wall Street Journal and then the New York Time.  So all morning, it just seemed like something was out of place!  Add in the fact I drove (rather than  cycled to the  gym.
As I have mentioned previously,  the Wall Street Journal has the worst on-line newspaper, so I am always disappointed when it does't arrive. For some reason the on-line version is very difficult for me to read, just the way it is organized (or not organized).
Today is Friday.  I still am surprised that the week goes fast, even when "every day is a Saturday except for Sunday")  There is a definite difference between the weekdays, and especially between the workdays and weekends that are more defined than I expected. 
Speaking of the Book Club I noted yesterday, I enjoy it a lot more than I thought I would.  It is interesting to be around intelligent people who like to read and have read the same book and take the time to discuss it.  We know we have an hour and we know we are there to discuss a specific book, so there is no hurry and it gives a chance to really discuss it.
I can remember reading "Catcher in the Rye" when I was a kid (probably about 14) and thinking that there are other people out there who have weird thoughts also!  (Not exactly the same, but not the standard either.)  I read a lot of books when I was a kid.  When I was in the 7th Grade (and later) I read any book I could sneak past my Mom, although I continued to read a lot of standard library books.  We would go to the Library (in Holton, Kansas when I lived n the farm and in Russell when I was in the 8th through 12th grade.
Watch the "Frontline" report on the fraud at the SAC Capital Fund.  It was somewhat discouraging to see the large scale cheating, especially when I remember 2008 and how none of the individuals actually were punished in any way, especially for the mortgage fraud.
I have been reading about the CES show.  It is amazing (and sometimes disturbing, but always amazing)

No comments: