Thursday, January 30, 2014

Winter 2014 January 30 Thursday

18 degrees this morning.  As an example of this winter, here are the stats that prove it is colder"
High/Low Wednesday:  35/10 (Temperature in Lakeland is normally a little cooler)
NORMAL:  51/33
Record HIgh:  70,  Record low:  5
For good measure, the Mississippi River at Memphis is 5.80, flood stage is 34.  
I love looking at these statistics each day.  I used to keep track of them in my journal, but it became a time thing, and then I quit looking at them every day even though I find them fascinating for some reason.  I especially like to look a the Mississippi level and wonder how this affects people.  
There are a number of persons who live along the Mississippi River (the largest i am aware of near Memphis is across the river on the Arkansas side).  They live in RV's, campers or tents and when the river floods the area you see the Rv's, campers and cars (many of vintage age to say the least) parked along I-40 out of the flooded area.  Not a bad life I guess. (Most of them have jobs etc, they just prefer alternative living arrangements.  
I always think about time, since it is always so scarce.  I am amazed at how much time I waste on "doodling" or just doing small tasks.  For example, some days it takes me 20 minutes after I get up to actually hit the street on my morning walk.  There is no reason I couldn't do it in five minutes, but....  Maybe I need the time for some reason. 
Currently, I feel reading my four favorite newspapers (New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Commerical Appeal and the on-line USA Today-Sections News, Monday, Tech and Travel only!) take too much time but it is frankly worth it to me.  Some time it may not be, but it is the favorite part of my day.  Responding to e-mail takes a lot less time now.  Facebook takes a few minutes, My fitness Pal takes a little etc. and soon I am out of time for other things!  It is amazing how much time the little things that fill my day takes.  
I had a friend once who emphasized that you have to "delete some events/tasks/habits etc. to add new ones".  I realize it is true, but I don't like it, any more than I like the comment that "Life is a series of Hello and Good-by".  Obviously this is true, but it doesn't mean I have to like it or ever accept it!  
Having just endured a big "Goodby", I can testify it is no fun.  Of course I say "hello" and "goodby" to all kinds of events, items and people.  No matter what I am saying "hello" to Thursday, January 30, 2014 and will say "Goodby" as of midnight, no matter what.  
I always liked the poem "The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost. I can remember when I first read it (I believe in the 3rd grade or so in one of my brothers high school literature books.  My Dad didn't believe in tv, so I read anything I could get my hands on after I finished my library books!
The Library trip was our favorite.  We would almost always check out the maximum number of books on our weekly trips "to town".  I am always pleased to see the Holton, Kansas Library still there and still well-maintained.  My other primary library memory is the Russell, Kansas library.  If memory is correct, someone donated the funds to the Library for the new building (Kansas has an independent library system, which works well and is a progressive way to fund libraries).  It was a wonderful library, and I will always have a soft spot in my heart for Russell, Kansas and Holton, Kansas for their wonderful libraries and the Librarians who tolerated 7 children and 2 adults checking out the maximum books each week!  (I don't know that my Mom and Dad checked out the maximum or not, but all of us kids did.)
Strange that I now live in a city without a Library, although I have excellent access to a number of libraries.  

No comments: