Thursday, January 09, 2014

Winter 2014 January 8 Thursday

34 degrees this morning, light misting rain.
Sobering thought:  "In 1970, less than 1% of taxi drivers had college degrees.  Four decades later, more than 15% do".  (Wall Street Journal, Thursday, February 9, 2014, page A13)
Not that taxi drivers have an easy job.  I tried to do it in graduate school (in Wichita) as a part time job and, believe me, it is a tough job.  I admire taxi drivers and always try to add an extra dollar or two to the tip, especially the good ones.  It it not an easy way to make a living.  All the more that the figure is scary for college students find it as the only way they can make a living.  If they enjoy it, great, but I doubt if that is the case.
I am backing off a little about the Logictech "ultra thin" keyboard.  I still don't like it, but I don't like the standard cases even less.  At least I can separate this.  I'm looking for one like I had before, if I can't find one, I may need to make do with this.  I can't understand why, when they can make something wonderful like the iPad, they can't make a decent case or keyboard.  Apple does make some great products (and some real duds).  Two of my iPod shuffles (at least 6 years old) are still going strong, as is my original 6 year old iPod.  My "3" iPhone is still be used as a iPod touch and it has to be at least 5 years old.  And, my "original iPad", although woefully obsolete works so well I can't bring myself to give it away.  I don't use it for much, but is still is great as a somewhat giant iPod Touch I can use for music and audiobooks.  (It is a little slow for e-books).
I used to make 8 cups of coffee in the morning, I am now making 10 cups due to the extended morning.  Coffee is may last vice, and a good one I enjoy!  
Speaking of e-books, as much as I hate to admit it, e-newspapers e-magazines and e-books are getting better, or at least I am getting used to them.  The Commercial Appeal actually has the best e-newspaper, and the New York Times has made some major improvements.  I prefer the printed edition, but it makes it nice when I am traveling for need to check on something to have the New York Times and Commerical Appeal have such nice e-newspapers.  Strangely enough, the Wall Street Journal e-addition is very hard to read and I usually simply avoid it if i can't buy or snag a copy.
Discussed "Catcher in the Rye" at our book club yesterday.  It is so nice to be around other people who love to read and want to discuss what they have read!
I see signs that the light of day is lasting longer!  Spring will be here shortly!  (Maybe in more ways than one!)

No comments: