Friday, January 24, 2014

Winter 2014 January 24 Friday (Wounded by scissors!)

9 degrees this morning.  Took a walk and extended it since I couldn't ride the bike (see next paragraph).
Yesterday morning while trying to remove  a SAFETY cover from a pair of scissors, I punctured my hand, in the fleshly joint between my right thumb and finger.  I have to admit it did hurt and it bled and bled.  Aliene put a bandage on it and it seemed to stop.  However, after lunch,l when she tried to change the bandage, it started bleeding again and it wouldn't stop, so I went in to to see the Doctor.
The result is three stitches, a big bandage and instructions not to ride my bike (or grip anything) for at least 48 hours.  Since it is my right hand, and I am right handed.....  Anyway, I have to look on the positive side, it could have been worse.  The Doctor (fortunately she works in a urgent care facility also so she knows her stuff!) said I may have nicked an artery, so it could have been worse.  
When that happens, i always remember the events leading up to it. I can picture my thinking just prior to doing it.  I actually changed my position to avoid any damage to the chair I was in (which I don't care for anyway) and when the cover released, I jabbed my hand.  I always wonder what my life would have been like if it happened. We would have done something else completely different yesterday and I would never have known how close I came to injury.
Dentist this morning (just a cleaning and inspection).  I have an appointment with the tooth implant surgeon next week and will schedule the planting of the "posts" for the two new teeth.  It seems like it has been a long process.  
The thing I really regret about the scissors incident is that I can't ride my bike.  While it is cold, the wind is down and there is no rain etc, so it is perfect weather to ride, in spite of the cold.
Friday, January 24.  Where does the time go?

No comments: