Sunday, January 26, 2014

Winter 2014 January 26 Sunday

28 degrees this morning.  I need to start tracking what is "normal" each day to see how "normal" a winter this is.  When I first came to Memphis, I tracked the high, low and normal for each day plus the level of the Mississippi River.  It really emphasized the importance of the Mississippi to the region to me.  One thing that is truly impressive in this area (among many) is the Mississippi River.  I have taken cruises on it out of Memphis (I'm talking the hour/2hour type cruises) and Tunica County and one memorable overnight cruise from Memphis to Cape Girardeau. I kept imagining what it was like for Tom Sawyer (maybe Huckleberry Finn) to cruise down the Mississippi on raft!  
In any event, it is my favorite river.  Isn't anything tame about it.  I used to like to call my daughter when I was crossing the Mississippi and singing a song about the Mississippi, but the novelty soon wore off (for her, not for me).  I can see myself buying a house just so I can see the Mississippi, but I think if I had the money (I never wellI) I'd just buy a houseboat and cruise the Mississippi River. Not even own a house or a car, maybe just a bike or two.  At least I can dream about it because I'll never do it!
Hand is getting better.  Still not grasping with it, so I couldn't ride the bike this morning.  Didn't take a shower of shave yesterday (due to difficulty of shaving with my left hand and taking a shower with a hand I'm not supposed to get wet), so I am feeling really grungy and will shave and take a shower no matter what.  (I always  take at least one shower or bath, usually two in a day and I always shave!  Live on the wild side for one day I guess.)  Not sure how I would do on living on the Mississippi River.
I talked with a tug riverboat Captain once.  It was interesting.  He told me about life on the Mississippi (I believe they are on for 30 days and off for 30 days, but I could be wrong).  He was avery interesting person.  
Main problem with the hand wound is the feeling I'm not keeping my hands clean enough since i can't wash my right hand due to the wound.   

No comments: