Sunday, January 12, 2014

Winter 2014 January 12 Sunday

36 degrees this morning, more of a "normal" winter temperature.  Actually, I don't know what the "normal" temperature is.  I used to track the "normal, high and low" for each day.  I'm not sure why I stopped, maybe because it was a waste of time since the information would always be available anyway, except for record temperatures!
Looks like it is going to be a great day today, as high as 60 degrees.  More of the type of Memphis/Lakeland winter I had come to expect!
Just thinking, while I fortunately don't know what it is like to be told i have three months left to live, I understand it really focuses you.  Being aware that I have three months of pay and benefits (primarily medical ins.) and realizing that that time is 50% through next Tuesday certainly is starting to focus me, more on thinking about medical, assuming I don't have another position by them with medical coverage.  Fortunately, I can afford to be selective in what I do next in life, I just need to plan.
When I was a teenager (I think around 15), I heard a song by Pete Seeger, something to the effect of "Little Boxes made of ricky-tacky, little boxes all the same".  It actually had a big influence on my life and, looking back, I think I adopted it as a concept.  It isn't necessarily something to avoid but just something to be aware of as you live your life.  I actually saw him in Oklahoma City, I believe in 1989, and heard him sing the song.  My meaning on it is to be aware of your choices and don't just do something because it is "expected", not that there is anything wrong with it.  I admit, when I was 15, I probably took a different meaning from it.
It is nice to see signs of the coming Spring, even though it is at least a month and 1/2 away (at least in this area). 

No comments: